What's new

Upgrade from 4.3 to 5.0 on DS411j

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OGroteKoning

Regular Contributor
I have a DS411j. The diskstation indicates that my unit is up to date with regard to DSM Update, but I only have DSM 4.3-3776-3. I have downloaded the updates, but before I start the update, I would like to know why the disk station indicates that I am up to date when I am not. See here https://www.synology.com/en-global/supp ... oad/DS411j
The reason is that I don't want to lose any information on the diskstation.

Hi,
Means up to date within DSM4.3. If you you don't have any possible issues going up to
DSM.5.0, why not? As an example, I updated to DSM5.0 for my DS713+, which messed up the photo station. Later it got fixed. So it's up to you to update. Synology often drops old boxes from new DSM support. So keep up as much as you can B4 it happens.

That is kinda weird. Newer firmware is newer - then it can't be up to date of a higher version number is out. Anyway, thanks for the info. I will update and see what happens.

Hi,
If you think about it, once you move DSM up, simply you can't revert.

Synology has not made users pay for a "Version upgrade", like 4.x to 5.x, whereas it's common in consumer software.

The "version update", like 4.2 to 4.3, is of course free.

I've elected to stay with 4.3 latest and procrastinate going to DSM 5 even longer. Nothing compelling for me in 5.x. But I don't do a lot of media stuff; just pictures and audio on household devices. Mainly, it's part of my triple-backedup financial and professional work files.

So I pulled the trigger and I am happy to report that all went well! No problems whatsoever that I could pick up in the limited time I had left before going to bed.

Hi,
If you think about it, once you move DSM up, simply you can't revert.
I am not worried about that. I am confident that if there is a bug somewhere, that Synology will fix it before they drop support for the "old box".

Synology has not made users pay for a "Version upgrade", like 4.x to 5.x, whereas it's common in consumer software.

The "version update", like 4.2 to 4.3, is of course free.

I've elected to stay with 4.3 latest and procrastinate going to DSM 5 even longer. Nothing compelling for me in 5.x. But I don't do a lot of media stuff; just pictures and audio on household devices. Mainly, it's part of my triple-backedup financial and professional work files.
I hear you. The old saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. 4.3 is/was great, but I played around on the demo on their site and really like the fresh look. I try to keep up to date with firmware. The 411j is not a very powerful unit and any advances in speed and efficiency is a bonus for me. I can not tell yet if 5.0 makes a difference yet as I have not really played around since updating, but time will tell.

Thanks for responding, you are more reliable than Synology when it comes to technical (or any) feedback. I wrote an e-mail and posted on their forum too before I did here and nothing yet from them. I wish they would sharpen up their support in that regard.

In some years of ownership, since I live in the US, I just call their tech support on the phone. Just 2 or 3 times.
Always been excellent. Felt like I was talking to an engineer, not a call center dweeb.
I have done a couple of web site trouble tickets. 1-2 working day response time. Answers were OK but not as good as by phone.

It will cost me a fortune to phone then from here. You are lucky

Hi,
Synology user forum is another place you can draw upon. I only called them once for dead eSATA cable when I received DS713+, they sent another one right away.

Hi,
Synology user forum is another place you can draw upon. I only called them once for dead eSATA cable when I received DS713+, they sent another one right away.
Their forum is not well represented by Synology. It was explained to me that it is a forum for users and that I should not really rely on a Synology rep to assist me quickly

I've had 1 business day and good responses to on-line trouble reports.
And they answer the phone too.

User forums everywhere have many ex-spurt wannabe's. So you have to know how to judge credibility.

I've had 1 business day and good responses to on-line trouble reports.
And they answer the phone too.

User forums everywhere have many ex-spurt wannabe's. So you have to know how to judge credibility.
That's why I come here stevech... I trust you [emoji6]

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!