What's new

upgrade my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

squirrellydw

Regular Contributor
I currently have a Asus AC68U that i'm thinking of upgrading. What do you guys think is best for me. House is a about 1500 square feet ranch style. What I need it to support...

1. I need to be able to assign static IP address's
2. support DNSMASQ or JFFS
3. is a plus but not required. would like to be able to plug my USB printer into it and share it out

What would you guys suggest?

Thanks

Are you currently running a third party firmware on it?

If not, something like Rmerlin or DDWRT would probably let let you do those things.

Yes currently running Merlin on the router.

JFFS I need so I can run a program I use.

Didn’t know if anything out there is currently better then what I have.

JFFS I need so I can run a program I use.
That's pretty vague. Can you be more specific. Programs don't always need to be run from JFFS, they can run from attached USB devices. Programs also have dependencies, without knowing the program it's impossible to say what routers would be compatible.

Well golly then. That might make it hard to offer advice.

So, it sounds like what you have now is working..

A newer router can get you a 4 stream device instead of the 68U's 3 streams, for a bit better range or speed. And maybe faster CPU's for better performance at something like VPN. Maybe have faster file transfer performance if you're using the USB for storage.

I don't know if you need any of those potential features.

Well speed is always nice. Just didn't know if anything was better then what I have now. As for JFFS, all it need to do is Domain name followed by IP, nothing really fancy. Ive just been hearing a lot about Ubiquiti stuff and didn't know if that would be better or if it even does what I want.