What's new

Upgrade RT-AC66R?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doubleroll

Regular Contributor
Is it time to upgrade the RT-AC66R or wait a bit longer? I currently use it as an access point with a Actiontec FiOS as main router. However, I would like to use it as a router for VPN access. The RT-AC66R probably will not be best due to CPU etc. Was looking at Netgear X6 or RT-AC87R...Any thoughts?

If the AC66U is functioning well enough as an access point, why not continue using it? You could put the FiOS modem/router into bridge/pass-through mode and then drop in a wired vpn router to distribute the load and responsibilities across each piece of gear, which I find often leads to better overall performance and stability; it also makes troubleshooting and upgrading a fair bit easier, as you can hot-swap hardware in and out as desired.

If you're proficient enough in your networking knowledge, I'd look at an ubiquiti edgerouter lite for $90. More mainstream, user-friendly, albeit less powerful, options would be the Linksys LRT or Cisco RV series at $150-75. If price is no object, a $350 ZyWall 110 is a solid buy.

Good point...I may even have an old Cisco VPN router left over from a project that I can use. Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD