What's new

Upgrade to the ac66u??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XFalconX

Regular Contributor
Not sure if it was confirmed by manufacturer but I did see some images. To a AC67U and wanted to know I the images are true. I reason I ask is the new 67u does not have external antennae and that is 1 feature I would like to have on my next wireless router along with USB 3.0. Any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPhone

...I would like to have on my next wireless router along with USB 3.0. Any thoughts or comments?
Hi,

What do you want to do with USB 3.0? :rolleyes:
Remember: The router's CPU is very weak and can NOT transmit USB 3.0 throughput...
Again: What do you want to do with USB 3.0? :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Not sure if it was confirmed by manufacturer but I did see some images. To a AC67U and wanted to know I the images are true. I reason I ask is the new 67u does not have external antennae and that is 1 feature I would like to have on my next wireless router along with USB 3.0. Any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPhone

From what I saw in recent FW releases, I think the RT-AC67U has been renamed to RT-AC68U. We know next to nothing about this router yet as it hasn't been officially announced. That also means its design and specifications are still subject to change. Remember, the original RT-N66U had a cooling fan, which went away before the product release to market. And before that it had different specs, and a different model number even. Wasn't it the RT-N76U when it was originally announced?

Keep in mind that USB 3.0 ports on the router might be able to push things closer to 30-40 MB/s, but it will never be able to match a real, dedicated NAS in terms of speed. That's most likely one of the reasons why very few routers offer USB 3.0 ports yet - they don't add that much to the file sharing performance. So, it will mostly depend on what your needs are.

I was about to get the ac66u but If an upgraded version will be released within 2 month I rather wait. Is there anything superior to the ac66u

Sent from my iPhone

I was about to get the ac66u but If an upgraded version will be released within 2 month I rather wait. Is there anything superior to the ac66u

Sent from my iPhone

I don't expect anything better to be available in the next few months. The RT-AC56U has USB 3.0, but slower wireless than the RT-AC66U.

No word yet on the RT-AC67/RT-AC68, aside from it won't be available until much later this year. No official specs yet either, so we don't know if it will be a higher-end device than the RT-AC66U or not.

Keep in mind that USB 3.0 ports on the router might be able to push things closer to 30-40 MB/s, but it will never be able to match a real, dedicated NAS in terms of speed. That's most likely one of the reasons why very few routers offer USB 3.0 ports yet - they don't add that much to the file sharing performance. So, it will mostly depend on what your needs are.

What if it's packing a dual core Arm cpu? that should beef up the transfers.

that is what I heard

I have a usb 3.0 drive connected to mine but with stock fw I get 4-5 megabytes a second... with merlin firmware I get 14-15 megabytes a second. I just bought a raid 0 nas 2tb total and im getting 70-80 megabytes a second... The nas is a much better deal, or wait for that dual core router but, it still wont do faster than my nas....

The ARM CPU might help, but not because it's dual-core. Software has to be multi-threaded to benefit from multiple cores. It might help a little if Samba is on one core while the kernel is using the other core for filesystem access, but it's not a double throughput.

What will probably help more is the fact that ARM CPUs are generally more powerful than their MIPS counterparts. How much it will help remains to be seen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!