What's new

Upgrading from Bell Canada 2Wire 2701HG-G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgoodie

New Around Here
My first post is probably going to be deemed newbie as it probably is…but you gotta start somewhere, right?

And yes, I have read the thread “How To Choose the Right Wireless LAN for You” and have looked at the wireless charts, although it was meaningless dribble for my poor brain. I assume that the "draft" wireless N is no longer in draft mode. I see we now have "ac" which is in draft mode.

The Bad: I have a Bell Canada 2Wire 2701 HG-G wireless modem/router providing about 12 Mbps download. I have no problem connecting wirelessly 2 floors below from my laptop or my Wii (which provides Netflix).

The Better: I am going to bypass the router function and purchase a separate wireless router. Don’t know how to do that but I have heard it is quite possible…

The Question:

The new router will be located upstairs (beside the Bell modem) and I need to furnish Ethernet support to 4 devices two floors below. It is impossible to run Ethernet cable directly to those devices unless it travels the same way as my feet do (down hallways and stairs).

Obviously, I would like to install the best router possible, but I do not wish to purchase a product that does way more than my present configuration needs. I will be eventually playing movies directly from an external storage device (see below) or streaming them live. I want to be able to handle 1080P.

What is the best method to connect up to four Ethernet devices (Bluray, A/V receiver, Xbox, etc)?

Is dual band wireless technology viable in my case?
Is a powerline router the way to go?
How do I supply the fastest possible speed to my 4 Ethernet devices?

If anyone has a make and model configuration for me, please do not hesitate. I will need a setup that a moron can install. I know a little, but that just makes me dangerous…

I plan to add external storage (as above) directly to the router so that it can be accessed in the home or in another city. What is the best way to connect to the router (Ethernet, USB) and what routers and external storage devices would be a good match? I think I can handle setting up my Brontosaurus HP4 LaserJet printer via Ethernet to the router. I am thinking that 2 USB ports is the number I would require for my router to handle future needs (a new printer, for instance). I prefer USB 3.0 but these seem few and far between. I don’t even know if it would really be worth it…is it?

I was looking at the Asus RT-56U, the Asus RT-65U, the Asus RT-65U, D-link’s DIR-857, and the Linksys E4200v2. Is this more than I need? Still, I would be clueless as to the best option to connect to my Ethernet devices…

All suggestions welcome!

First try a pair of current generation 500 Mbps HomePlug AV powerline adapters. They are a better option than wireless, especially if you are going to try HD streaming.

When you install them if they don't work up to expectations, first look for noise sources before you give up. Cellphone chargers and other "wall-wart" power adapters can really kill powerline throughput. You can also try filtered powerline adapters if the noise source (a plasma HDTV for example) is located next to where you want the adapter.

Helpful articles:
Slow HomePlug? Try A Powerline Filter
SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ

Don't try to do everything in the router. If remote access is really important to you, something like a Pogoplug might be a lot simpler and easier to remotely access.

If at all possible, have your HD content storage connected to your player via Ethernet. That may mean you have it on the other end of a powerline connection from your router. But that's ok, since Internet connection speed is going to be the limiting factor.

Thanks, Tim. You have clarified that Ethernet or Powerline is better than normal wireless. Although this is definitely overkill for my needs (and not part of my plans), would a new WiFi standard router (802.11ac) and a matching 802.11ac wireless bridge (to connect to my Ethernet devices) produce better results than the 500Mbps Powerline adapters - assuming that I am getting a good connection with the Powerline product?

Also, how do I do the Powerline hook-up?

1. Single Powerline to router, + single Powerline + 4-port switch
2. Single Powerline to router and 4-port Powerline
3. Powerline router + single Powerline + 4-port switch
4. Powerline router + 4-port Powerline

Which specific products would you have in mind for the best choice of configuration?

How can I, as one having no testing products, tell what speed the Powerline adapters are operating at. Do you have a performance chart somewhere (probably)?

Filtered Powerline adapters???

By lack of mention, were you saying that there is no need to purchase another router? I thought for sure this was something I needed to do. I was beginning to lick my lips at some of the choices out there :D

Now, I am off to read those links you suggested. No need to answer any question that is covered in those links...

THANKS AGAIN...

I have been doing nothing but reading forums and reviews on all this stuff. It seems as if all the manufacturers got together and divied up the features so that they would all overlap and no one would have the feature set that I need/want...:( This is Venn manufacturing at its best!

And if Internet speed is the limiting factor, what is the point in getting all these fancy-dancy super routers if we are only getting 75 Mbps max (Rogers), 175 Mbps (Bell - only costing a kidney and 1/2 a pancreas per month), and 28 Mbps (Acanac, TekSavvy), from our service providers?

I must be missing something here...got another link?

would a new WiFi standard router (802.11ac) and a matching 802.11ac wireless bridge (to connect to my Ethernet devices) produce better results than the 500Mbps Powerline adapters
Possible, but unlikely. Throughput variation on wireless is always going to be higher than with powerline. And to get enough bandwidth you will probably need to use 5 GHz, which doesn't have the same coverage as 2.4 GHz.

Also, how do I do the Powerline hook-up?
1. Single Powerline to router, + single Powerline + 4-port switch
2. Single Powerline to router and 4-port Powerline
3. Powerline router + single Powerline + 4-port switch
4. Powerline router + 4-port Powerline
You can use any of these methods. There is no performance difference. using separate components gives you the most flexibility in product choice.

How can I, as one having no testing products, tell what speed the Powerline adapters are operating at. Do you have a performance chart somewhere (probably)?
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view

Filtered Powerline adapters???
Slow HomePlug? Try A Powerline Filter