What's new

Used Synology or new Lenovo?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kidloco

New Around Here
Hi all,

I currently have 2 Zyxel NAS (nsa320 and nsa325) and a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that i would like to replace with a 4 bay NAS (please, tell me that's a fool idea if you think so) - reduce the noise, power consumption, easy to admin, only one box, etc.

I don't need the fancy stuff of the premium NAS, i just use them for TimeMachine Backups and Data Storage (with redundancy of course), so i'm aiming at budget NAS.

I have two options, the new Lenovo Iomega IX4-300D or a used Synology DS409+ with 1GB ram (upgraded). What should i buy? What would give me the best performance?

Best regards,
Ricardo

The DS409+ will only have VERY limited firmware and applications updates. The 5.x firmware baseline is not available for the 2009 era units. I have a DS409+ and am thinking about replacing it with a newer unit.

So i should go for the Lenovo since it's new, and despite the firmware is a few steps behind Synology, it has room for improvement?

I would suggest you consider how you are going to backup your new NAS, whichever you choose. If it is used for primary storage of important data you should still backup your important data regardless of what RAID level you use.

My advice would be to consider if you can make use of what you already have (if possible) to backup your new NAS.

Your ReadyNAS Duo supports disk spin-down and a power off/on schedule (not sure about the other NAS units you have but you can check) so you could still use it to backup your important data from your new primary NAS, whilst taking steps to minimise your power usage.

Or you could use e.g. USB disks or something else for backing up your data.

I would suggest you consider how you are going to backup your new NAS, whichever you choose. If it is used for primary storage of important data you should still backup your important data regardless of what RAID level you use.

My advice would be to consider if you can make use of what you already have (if possible) to backup your new NAS.

Your ReadyNAS Duo supports disk spin-down and a power off/on schedule (not sure about the other NAS units you have but you can check) so you could still use it to backup your important data from your new primary NAS, whilst taking steps to minimise your power usage.

Or you could use e.g. USB disks or something else for backing up your data.

Hi, that would be alot of NAS in the office, instead of 3, i would have 4 :eek:
And yes, the Zyxel have the spin down function too.

I can live with the redundancy of the RAID since i have my mac mini backing up the important stuff to JungleDisk (Amazon S3) everyday. The rest of the stuff is just music and movies.

ps: A thunderbolt/eSata/USB3 enclosure with hardware raid would be my ideal setup but my mac mini is really old (Firewire400/USB2), that's why i'm sticking with a NAS setup.

No, due to inferior software.

Alright, i guess i can live with DSM 4.X for along time since it has everything i need :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!