What's new

Users / User Groups in a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cellophane

Occasional Visitor
Our DS411+ came in the other day and is for the most part up and running (woo!) and in configuration it has the user / user group option. I know in the grand scheme of things how it could be applied but is it really necessary to configure for a small office? Our current set-up (some info here) has folders that aren't supposed to be seen hidden but that is pretty easy to get around and the extent of "security" internally. I don't think there is much that is really that important but then I'm not the boss. As discussed briefly in the linked thread, we don't have a domain server or a log-in system so file control is mostly on an individual level.

I am trying to get FTP service configured and have most of it - I know the value of users / groups for that but on the local level I don't really see any real advantages. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
:beer:

If you don't use the user groups any person can see any data on the whole NAS if they can find it. That is just a bad thing in general practice. With network shares and such you can generally fudge the log ins without needed a domain server. Just make sure the names and passwords on the NAS match the user names and passwords on the workstations. Then you can secure folders for users. In general principal users like to have a folder all to themselves where they can put stuff without worrying the whole office can see it. I haven't ever been in an office where people didn't care if the entire office could see their documents.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!