What's new

Using pfSense with a L3 core switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1698320642165.png

Netgate appliances here, no change.

Yeah, I went with the 6100 which came with '+' when I replaced my RV340. Do not think this will impact me as a home office / home user. Kind of glad (in hindsight) that I went this route and not a homebuilt unit (which I was strongly considering). My unit (once I figured it all out with help from here and pfsense forums) has been rock-solid.

Since I am already running pfsense plus I will not be affected. I can continue to run it. My issue will be when my SSD dies. Then I may move to pfsense 2.7. Opensense is still on an older FreeBSD so for me it will not be an option.

I looked again and there is no home and lab. If you click on the $0.0 Pfsense Plus you end up on a $399 screen.

This is turning into a bit of a mess...

@gonzopancho - sounds like a good thing to get in front of...

I am going to sweat it out for now. Wait and see what happens. If needed, i will revert back to CE 2.7 or if no other choice move to OPNSense although my first trial with that some months ago didn't leave a lasting impression.

I know 2.7CE will install as I installed it and ran it on my newer Dell with a lower watt CPU before I upgraded to 23.05.1.

I am using the new power management for my CPU in FreeBSD14 which saves electricity which does not exist in FreeBSD13. If you have an older CPU then then this may not apply. We talked about what I did in this thread further up. I am running 6 gen Intel CPU.

Last edited:
I am using the new power management for my CPU in FreeBSD14 which saves electricity which does not exist in FreeBSD13.

Do you have links/info on PM changes for FreeBSD14 over 13?

Asking, not challenging - as the FreeBSD14 release notes have no mention of this...

Looks like I will not be able to update my 23.05.1 version of pfsense Plus going forward even though I have a license for plus. I will switch to the CE version when the next release comes out.

If I talked anybody into using Plus over CE I am sorry. I did not know this would happen.

Looks like I will not be able to update my 23.05.1 version of pfsense Plus going forward even though I have a license for plus. I will switch to the CE version when the next release comes out.

If I talked anybody into using Plus over CE I am sorry. I did not know this would happen.

Ugghhh...

Sorry to hear about that

So, I just upgraded to 23.09.1. It seems to be working fine. I stopped a movie upgraded and then started the movie again where I left off. It took 2 or 3 minutes to upgrade.

I hope the next major update they will allow me to switch to 2.7.

Anybody else running pfsense 23.09.1?

I could upgrade to 23.9.1 if i wanted to.
But i went back to CE wen the sh!t hit the fan with pfSense Plus at Netgate.
Now i keep it on CE.
I don't need the Plus version.

1703292031621.png

I have not reconfigured yet. I am waiting on them to make it easy for me to switch back to 2.7.

I would not recommend going to 23.09.1 now but I am still on the plus system.

What i did was backup the config of pfSense Plus.
Then i downloaded the latest pfSense CE image and write it to a usb stick.
Then save the backup config.xml also to the usb stick and reinstalled pfSense.
Wen it is done installing i have pfSense CE with all my settings in place.

Maybe this video is helpfull:

Last edited:
Yea, I can do that, but I was hoping to just be able to select CE in an update Pfsense option.

Last edited:
I have noticed DNS resolver now seems to be working for me on this latest release of Pfsense. I have not had to switch back to forwarding.

I have noticed DNS resolver now seems to be working for me on this latest release of Pfsense. I have not had to switch back to forwarding.

I recently was forced to update to 23.9.01 because an update of HAProxy didn't play out well since it was looking for some files that my installation didn't seem to have. Updating fixed it instantly. I did the switchover from plus to CE on my backup router which worked fine. I was planning on doing it also on my main router but didn't get to it so far as i need to be alone in the house not to disrupt anything else.

I came across this DNS error, so I switched back to forwarding which is slower now. I thought I would wait until these resolves.

Yes, I am still on 23.9.01. I am waiting for the next release to switch back to CE.