What's new

Using Switch to control where multicast goes to

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ynohtna

Regular Contributor
Hi there,

I'm trying to do this quickly but each time I try searching here and everywhere for info on the topic, I tend to get more and more confused an struggling with the terminologies. I hope to get some straight answers on the below should be configured.

I have a few switches as options... an old Dell Powerconnect 2708, Netgear GS108T V1 and also the V2.

Each has various controls regarding multicast control.

What I want to be able to do is the following:

1) Ethernet from an Actiontec dsl/router (provider provided for IPTV) goes into port 1 of the switch.
2) the TV signals should only be communicated through to port 2 where I have a STB hooked up.
3) The other ports don't have to deal with multicast signals as they won't have STBs hooked up to them so I don't want them to get this traffic.

I want this because on that switch, I have a Powerline device connecting some further away devices to my network. When I watch HD TV, connection to these devices is completely screwed and from these devices connection out to internet does not work. Turn off TV, wait a bit of time and then everything is happy again. It seems the power line probably gets flooded with more info than it can handle.

The netgears have all this great options for Multicast and IGMP snooping and I don't know what to do to get what I want. I'm leaning toward the impression that I would be using one of the netgears and turning on IGMP snooping and the rest will take care of itself?

Many thanks for your time!

IGMP Snooping

Been wondering the same thing about Multicasting and although a novice, I think the switch function of IGMP Snooping is what is needed to send multicast IP packets to the only LAN device requesting.

I been testing silicondust prime hd & ceton Cable card devices and was researching but havent found a lot info. Also heard there are multiple version of IGMP (v3 is what Win7 uses) but my d-link DGS-1224 switch uses v2 and causes problems when enabled.

Netgear Prosafe Switch Doc on IGMP

MultiCast
IGMP Snooping
Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) Snooping is a feature that allows a switch to forward multicast traffic intelligently on the switch. Multicast IP traffic is traffic that is destined to a host group. Host groups are identified by class D IP addresses, which range from 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255. Based on the IGMP query and report messages, the switch forwards traffic only to the ports that request the multicast traffic. This prevents the switch from broadcasting the traffic to all ports and possibly affecting network performance.

To enable or disable IGMP snooping:
• Select Disable or Enable for IGMP Snooping Status and click Apply.
or
• You can also change the VLAN for which the IGMP Snooping to be enabled by entering a valid VLAN ID for the field "VLAN ID Enabled for IGMP Snooping"; and clicking Apply.
This field is greyed out if VLAN is not enabled.

Validate IGMPv3 IP header:
Some of the Network devices may not conform to the IGMPv3 standard. When ‘Validate IGMPv3 IP header’ option is enabled, IGMP messages are required to have TTL = 1, ToS Byte = 0xC0 (Internetwork Control), and router alert IP option (9404) set; otherwise, the packets will be ignored.

Block Unknown MultiCast Address:
When enabled, multicast packets are forwarded only to the ports that are in the Multicast group learnt from IGMP snooping. All unknown multicast packets are dropped.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!