What's new

Utilize the robot to assist in analyzing router logs.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is a really good question, tbh. @Viktor Jaep, are there guidelines or templates that people follow to create scripts within the amtm framework? @thelonelycoder may also be able to provide some guidance.
Requirements of inclusion of a third party script are few, I list them below.
I make the final decision to include or exclude a third party script. Exclusion so far only happened because the script was no longer maintained and outdated for current firmware releases.

- I only accept open source and non monetized scripts.
- Must be popular on SNB
- Must be of use for the general public and not tied to a certain device or provider users need or have, like a certain modem type only used by X provider.
- Must have its own SSH UI, with install, configure and uninstall function
- Must use e to exit
- Must uninstall all traces of itself
- Must have one main file containing a Version=version number, no quotes please. amtm greps for version and MD5.
- Must be hosted publicly
- This file is the only file amtm checks if addon is installed. Present means installed.

The rest of the logic I do in amtm. All scripts run in a subshell so that users return to amtm when they exit.
Hope that helps.

This is a really good question, tbh. @Viktor Jaep, are there guidelines or templates that people follow to create scripts within the amtm framework? @thelonelycoder may also be able to provide some guidance.
@aru ... great question. No, there are no templates that I'm aware of. But here are some tips...

1. Look at other scripts as examples on how things are done ... and if you can't figure it out through extensive searching, looking at samples on stackoverflow.com etc., then by all means, ask the community for help. There is more info here on the wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/User-scripts
2. The script needs to be as user friendly as possible. This typically requires some kind of menu system that allows people to interact with your script, and allows you to exit the script gracefully.
3. The script should leave no traces of itself after a user decides to uninstall it. Everything it has touched should be put back the way they originally were found.
4. @thelonelycoder is the only person who has a say if something will or won't be included in the AMTM tool. He has a very good idea at what stage of development that certain scripts are in as they get posted in these forums for others to play with.

That's a good start! If any other dev has anything to add, please be my guest! ;)

We gotchu buddy don't worry 😂
Happy to see everyone's answers lined up nicely. Means everyone's on the same page.
I think I need to focus on typing faster and focusing on finishing my posts! Lol

I have a copy and paste trick 😎

I thought reading your message felt like deja-vu. But I didn't want to be the one to say anything incase it was from my lack of sleep.

The copy and paste trick mentioned by thelonelycoder caught my eye. It would be fantastic to have ready-made packaging tools or installation templates available for easy copy-pasting. Just tweak the version number, and it's ready to directly publish software packages. How great would that be! 😆

I haven't written installation scripts before, so I can't expect to achieve success overnight. Moreover, it may require starting from scratch to learn how to build scripts and package them. This may involve learning a new programming language, understanding the process of packaging and installation, and solving any errors and issues that may arise. While this process can be a learning and growth opportunity for experienced developers, it can be challenging and frustrating for newcomers, and may take a long time to digest.

I want to express special thanks to thelonelycoder and Viktor Jaep for providing a clear guide, outlining the conditions that scripts must meet to be accepted. Additionally, they have provided some technical requirements, such as the need for scripts to have their own SSH user interface and how to handle the uninstallation process. Moreover, the wiki and community forums offer additional learning and support resources for newcomers. This has given me a preliminary understanding. Thank you! 👍

The copy and paste trick mentioned by thelonelycoder caught my eye. It would be fantastic to have ready-made packaging tools or installation templates available for easy copy-pasting. Just tweak the version number, and it's ready to directly publish software packages. How great would that be! 😆\
If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun... and you wouldn't learn anything in the process. Here's a good start: https://freebsdfrau.gitbook.io/serious-shell-programming

I haven't written installation scripts before, so I can't expect to achieve success overnight. Moreover, it may require starting from scratch to learn how to build scripts and package them. This may involve learning a new programming language, understanding the process of packaging and installation, and solving any errors and issues that may arise. While this process can be a learning and growth opportunity for experienced developers, it can be challenging and frustrating for newcomers, and may take a long time to digest.
You will get there... we'll be watching! Just keep at it... ask if you have questions. :)

FFS, even ChatGPT can't understand a kernel message... o_O

What concerns me is things like this - GitHub Copilot...

The challenge is that it can allow folks to "write" code that they have no idea what it does...

The other issue with GitHub Copilot is licensing of the code itself that it generates - that could get folks into trouble if it "rhymes" with GPL code, and one is working on something that might be overall BSD or Apache licensed (or any other FOSS friendly license)

Same would go with the ChatGPT app - for example, walking it through how to write something simple - it'll do it, and the code will execute, but who's code is it really?

The copy and paste trick mentioned by thelonelycoder caught my eye. It would be fantastic to have ready-made packaging tools or installation templates available for easy copy-pasting. Just tweak the version number, and it's ready to directly publish software packages. How great would that be! 😆

I want to express special thanks to thelonelycoder and Viktor Jaep for providing a clear guide, outlining the conditions that scripts must meet to be accepted. Additionally, they have provided some technical requirements, such as the need for scripts to have their own SSH user interface and how to handle the uninstallation process. Moreover, the wiki and community forums offer additional learning and support resources for newcomers. This has given me a preliminary understanding. Thank you! 👍
We all started from zero at one point. I had no idea what I was doing when I started just like you many years ago with my first manual install version of an ad-blocker.

Now we have amtm for easy access to all sorts of scripts. Maybe yours will join as well one day.

@visortgw I was barely able to post. Do you have likes automated? 👍

The current Generative AI models are only as good as the data used to teach them...
And as we feed them our syslog files, it gets better.
I installed and am tinkering with this script. I will say that the more I send logs, the more clear it gets.
Im not learning much new, but I would say that for others it might be very useful.

And as we feed them our syslog files, it gets better.
I installed and am tinkering with this script. I will say that the more I send logs, the more clear it gets.
Im not learning much new, but I would say that for others it might be very useful.

I’m waiting for the day where GenAI tells me I need to rebuild my router and stop with the dirty upgrades. 😃 Maybe it could be a precheck hook in MerlinAU.

We all started from zero at one point. I had no idea what I was doing when I started just like you many years ago with my first manual install version of an ad-blocker.

Now we have amtm for easy access to all sorts of scripts. Maybe yours will join as well one day.
No, I just happened to be reading through the thread as you responded. ;) I remember well working through early versions of AB-Solution with you. Your code just continues to improve with time!

I’m waiting for the day where GenAI tells me I need to rebuild my router and stop with the dirty upgrades. 😃 Maybe it could be a precheck hook in MerlinAU.

Jeeezz poor aru, give the guy a chance to finish his project before you start requesting integration with other scripts! Haha 😜.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!