What's new

(vds) Mesh or powerline wifi extension

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

al2813

Occasional Visitor
My current setup is using two Airport Extremes chained behind my ISP router (which is in bridge mode). The first Airport Extreme which is in my office on the ground floor caters for DHCP/NAT, routing (I have 2 switches one for my office and the second in the living room) and main WIFI AP covering the ground floor. The second Airport Extreme is in the first floor in the guest room and is wired to the first one. It caters for additional Ethernet connected devices (PS4/Sat receiver), and it extends the first Airport AP to the first floor.

the big problem, i have is that our room seems to be a "dead spot" for WIFI. Although the second Airport is less than 10 meters away, WIFI reception is pretty bad. After trying other solutions, I got to the conclusion that the only thing that will work is having an AP inside our room or an extremely powerful AP in the guest room.

I have been looking at several solutions - A Mesh setup (ORBI is currently the only vendor available in Europe and is not cheap), or a Powerline setup from the router downstairs (I still need to see if I revert to the ISP Router - they recently installed a new ISP router with an extremely good AC Wifi). Although I would rather avoid a switch in the guest room (Orbi would have been a good solution if I could Ethernet Backhaul), I can live with that if necessary.

Any feedback/tips are welcome. Am confused and frustrated......

My current setup is using two Airport Extremes chained behind my ISP router (which is in bridge mode). The first Airport Extreme which is in my office on the ground floor caters for DHCP/NAT, routing (I have 2 switches one for my office and the second in the living room) and main WIFI AP covering the ground floor. The second Airport Extreme is in the first floor in the guest room and is wired to the first one. It caters for additional Ethernet connected devices (PS4/Sat receiver), and it extends the first Airport AP to the first floor.

the big problem, i have is that our room seems to be a "dead spot" for WIFI. Although the second Airport is less than 10 meters away, WIFI reception is pretty bad. After trying other solutions, I got to the conclusion that the only thing that will work is having an AP inside our room or an extremely powerful AP in the guest room.

I have been looking at several solutions - A Mesh setup (ORBI is currently the only vendor available in Europe and is not cheap), or a Powerline setup from the router downstairs (I still need to see if I revert to the ISP Router - they recently installed a new ISP router with an extremely good AC Wifi). Although I would rather avoid a switch in the guest room (Orbi would have been a good solution if I could Ethernet Backhaul), I can live with that if necessary.

Any feedback/tips are welcome. Am confused and frustrated......

The Orbi can be configured in AP mode, so you can Ethernet connect the Orbi to whatever you router is. Or, have a look at Ubiquity Unifi Access Points.

First, how much bandwidth are you looking for in the "dead spot"?
If your home has thick stone / concrete walls, Wi-Fi may not work.

I would try a pair of HomePlug AV2 adapters first. There are powerline adapters with multiple ports and pass-through outlets like this one.

To get most out off it they must be on the same phase.
How you see it's the same phase, taking out a fuse in the fusebox where it gets dark there its on the same phase.

Thanks for the response! Will go powerline. I'll check the tp-link one

Look at a MIMO unit they use phase+zero to transmit, the old ones just you the phase to send and receive on.

PLA5456 and D-link DHP-701AV are the two best i have tried out.

Last edited:
i have is that our room seems to be a "dead spot" for WIFI. Although the second Airport is less than 10 meters away, WIFI reception is pretty bad.

This might sound "out there", but have you tried moving that AP a couple of feet one way or another?

(there's some RF physic behind this comment, and it has to do with how radio waves work)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!