What's new

Very Technical Questions for the Merlin/OPTWARE ASUS gurus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wallachuck

New Around Here
Hi all,

I purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U in the sales and have been absolutely amazed at what it can do. Thanks to Merlin and Optware, it has the potential of replacing my always on PC in the home office for DLNA etc.

However I have a couple of problems that I'm still working on but thought I'd ask here in case someone else has already solved the problems.

1. The "post-mount" script seems to get called when even the first USB disk mounts and doesn't wait for the second disk on the USB3.0 port. (Sometimes the second disk on USB3.0 doesn't even mount automatically until you manually disconnect/reconnect it). So I'm wondering is there a way to make "post-mount" wait for both disk to mount before being called? If not, perhaps we can use the blocking "pre-mount" script to manually force both disks to mount before continuing?

2. If there anyway to get mono running? There is no package to install via ipkg and if I try to compile it myself there is no gcc package to compile (gcc not on ipkg either).

3. How do you deal with services that crash occasionally? I was thinking of making a cron job that checks if the service is running and if not start it?

4. Wireless stops giving access. Perhaps I've too much stuff running on it but after a couple of hours or so, devices connected to wifi 2.4Ghz lose access to the router (5ghz is disabled). Devices are still connected and can disconnect/reconnect but you can't ping the router, and there is no internet access - e.g. ping 8.8.8.8 fails as well as ping <ip of router>. The solution is to restart the router. Any way to fix this in software?

Pretty hard tech questions here folks if any gurus can help?

In case anyone googles these issues, here are the solutions

1. This is fixed by putting a "sleep X" command in the post-mount script to give it time to mount both disks

2. You can get mono running by installing debian on top of entware. Howerver if you do an "apt-get install mono-complete" you will get an old version 2.1 so to get the newest version you can either compile mono (it takes 4-5 hours and has issue with mcs) or you can point your mono repository to "http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian alpha main" (alpha gives you the latest mono v 4.0)

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian alpha main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
agt-get install mono-complete
mono --version

3. Services crash due to memory usage. To fix this set a cron job to run a script like this every hour:

#!/bin/bash

if (( $(ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep service_name | wc -l) > 0 ))
then
echo "service_name is running"
else
/etc/init.d/service_name start
fi

4. This is no longer an issue running the latest merlin v378.52.2

Now I have one last issue and again it's a tricky one. Running a mono app, it uses 70% resident memory and there is lots of virtual memory free. Usually I would use cgroups to limit resident memory however "apt-get install cgroup-bin" doesn't install the init.d scripts so you cannot start cgroup.
The old "ulimit -m" method of limiting memory doesn't work either (a known issue).

Is there anyway to limit the resident memory usage on a process in debian wheezy?

Rather than the ps piped twice through grep and wc - can you not use

$(pidof service_name)

which returns the process id or nothing if doesn't exist