What's new

VLAN Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

If I were to use the base ASUS firmware (with VLAN’s etc.) is there a way out of the box to allow, for example, devices from the IOT network/VLAN to not have access to the main LAN, but allow devices in the main LAN to communicate with devices in the IOT network/VLAN (I.e one similar to 1-way to Guest as in YazFi?).

My GT-AC2900 is on its last legs - and the RT-AX86U Pro and GT-AX6000 are both under £200 on Amazon currently so looking to make a decision quickly!

Also any recommendations on either of these 2 routers?

Thanks!

The GT-AX6000 is the same hardware as the AX88U Pro, so the better option in my opinion. But, I went with the AX88U Pro on sale. I'd be interested to know the VLAN answer as well.

Thinking of biting the bullet on an 88u Pro instead now.

Still would like confirmation on the VLAN question though :)

My GT-AC2900 is on its last legs

If it works properly - wait. The new Pro models don't have what you are looking for in stock Asuswrt and YazFi may not work properly in future 3.0.0.6 Asuswrt-Merlin firmware with VLANs in the mix. Right now you have no many options to replicate your setup. Temporary only on current 3.0.0.4 Asuswrt-Merlin, unknown going forward.

Thinking of biting the bullet on an 88u Pro instead now.

Only if you really want to play with 3.0.0.6 right now and you really need 2x 2.5GbE ports. Otherwise RT-AX86U Pro is a good replacement for your GT-AC2900. More compact size, usually cheaper, similar hardware inside with about the same performance like much larger GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro. No RGB lights though, if important.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!