What's new

VLAN use in a home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BDH

New Around Here
I had a unique requirement that I was able to solve using VLANs. I needed to locate 802.11ac router in the center of the house to eliminate five wi-fi access points needed to cover a 4,000 sq ft single story house. I had a CAT6 cable between a media room on the west side to an office on the east side. The Internet router was in the office.

I had to run another cable but was only willing to run one. Running from the west side to the center was much easier so I did that. My network was now ISP Router -> West side switch -> 802.11ac WiFi router. I needed to get the Internet to the WAN port of the router and the wired clients to the LAN port of the router.

I bought 3 D-Link managed switches. two 5 port & one 8 port. 8 port to the west side, 5 port to the office and 5 port to the new center location with the wi-fi router. Port based VLAN 1 on each switch is for the local LAN. VLAN 2 is for Internet traffic. Trunk ports on each switch carry traffic for both.

Internet switch: Port 1 is the trunk port carrying VLAN 1 & 2 traffic. Port 2 is VLAN 2 only and connects to the Internet router. Ports 3-5 are VLAN 1 for a printer, home security router uplink and an open port.

Media room switch: Ports 1 & 2 are trunk ports allowing VLAN 1 & 2 on them. One handles traffic from the east side the other moves traffic to the central location. Ports 3 - 8 are VLAN 1 only for DirecTV DVR, Bluray, music player, home theater remote & Magic Jack phone.

Center location switch: Port 1 is a trunk port allowing VLAN 1 & 2 traffic from the rest of the house. Port 2 is VLAN 2 only and brings Internet traffic to the WAN port of the new 802.11ac wi-fi router. Ports 3-5 are VLAN 1 only for the LAN port on the new router and a link to a Powerline adapter.

Using VLANs I was able to use a single pathway to deliver both Internet and local traffic to three locations in the house without complex cabling. Wi-Fi traffic on a single 2.4GHz & dual 5GHz bands cover the entire house from the central location as designed.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar requirement.

Nice.
I had to do the same thing recently for a business where Verizon decided to install FiOS on the front of the building instead of the back where the it closet was.

Easiest way to get it up and running was connecting it to an access switch right next to the demarc and add a new VLAN for the WAN connection.
Eventually I want to do it right
. . . but it may take a while due to cost.

I had a unique requirement that I was able to solve using VLANs. I needed to locate 802.11ac router in the center of the house to eliminate five wi-fi access points needed to cover a 4,000 sq ft single story house. I had a CAT6 cable between a media room on the west side to an office on the east side. The Internet router was in the office.

I had to run another cable but was only willing to run one. Running from the west side to the center was much easier so I did that. My network was now ISP Router -> West side switch -> 802.11ac WiFi router. I needed to get the Internet to the WAN port of the router and the wired clients to the LAN port of the router.

I bought 3 D-Link managed switches. two 5 port & one 8 port. 8 port to the west side, 5 port to the office and 5 port to the new center location with the wi-fi router. Port based VLAN 1 on each switch is for the local LAN. VLAN 2 is for Internet traffic. Trunk ports on each switch carry traffic for both.

Internet switch: Port 1 is the trunk port carrying VLAN 1 & 2 traffic. Port 2 is VLAN 2 only and connects to the Internet router. Ports 3-5 are VLAN 1 for a printer, home security router uplink and an open port.

Media room switch: Ports 1 & 2 are trunk ports allowing VLAN 1 & 2 on them. One handles traffic from the east side the other moves traffic to the central location. Ports 3 - 8 are VLAN 1 only for DirecTV DVR, Bluray, music player, home theater remote & Magic Jack phone.

Center location switch: Port 1 is a trunk port allowing VLAN 1 & 2 traffic from the rest of the house. Port 2 is VLAN 2 only and brings Internet traffic to the WAN port of the new 802.11ac wi-fi router. Ports 3-5 are VLAN 1 only for the LAN port on the new router and a link to a Powerline adapter.

Using VLANs I was able to use a single pathway to deliver both Internet and local traffic to three locations in the house without complex cabling. Wi-Fi traffic on a single 2.4GHz & dual 5GHz bands cover the entire house from the central location as designed.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar requirement.

I'm trying to do exacly the same thing as you, but untill now my config is not working, could you maybe help me?

This is my current setup:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/segment-lan-article-question.26082/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online