What's new

vpn appliance recommendation for many small offices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dougsk

New Around Here
VPN appliance recommendations

My branch solution has a lot parts so lots of opportunity for fail. I would like to get the 802.11 and 3G networks in one unit.

Current Solution:
HQ: PFSense on HA pair of Dell Servers - overkill for 50 remote endpoints, but it's what I had and I need to sleep.
Branch: Cisco (Linksys) RV082 + Cradlepoint CTR35 + really cheap 802.11n router (Belkin N300).
Network Nodes: six wired, 4-6 wireless.
Internet filtering provided by Dyndns Internet Guide @ $2/branch/YEAR really hard to beat on price and would likely remain.
Price: ~500

Wants/Needs:
  1. 4g or 3G failover
  2. 802.11abgn
  3. approx eight switchports builtin
  4. ipsec site to site vpn
  5. 2 ssids virtual APs with definable acls
  6. a gui required (have to coach people over the phone to configure them)
  7. a telnet/ssh session (I would like this to apply a change to 50 units at a go)
  8. approx ten network nodes, six wired the rest wireless.
  9. peak ipsec traffic @ ~1Mbps (normally around 300kbps)
  10. All of these use external wall wart transforming power supplies. These tend to get lost as offices move about. Would really like a unit that had the transformer on the inside and thus used normal mains cables, however it looks like I'll have to concede the point.

Do it yourself:
DIY1: Alix2d13 + athwifi + switch + pfsense ~$325
Pros: PFsense, no maintenance costs for firmware, great support community.
Cons: 802.11 abg only, need a switch

DIY2: mini-itx intel atom + 2 * VIA quad port nics + athwifi + pfsense ~$800
Pros: all the pros of DIY1 with builtin switch
Cons: all the cons of DIY1, except builtin switch is ~$220 dollars, seems silly, will likely get scratched.

Cheap off the shelf:
COTS1: Cradlepoint ARC MBR1400 + Modem endcap + Switch ~$550 (MBR1400 only: $339)
Pros: Has almost all of the features I've been looking for
Cons: Plastic melts and bends pcbs and well need to buy a new one. I think I would have to tunnel dns to hq to categorize and split. if vpn tunnel drops, the internet effectively drops (at least reading manual suggests that).

COTS2: HP (H3C) MSR 920W $750
Pros: firmware for life, eight switchports builtin
Cons: 802.11bg only, limited support for North American 3G cell cards, no support for 4g cards.

COTS3: Fortiwifi 40C ~400 (no maintenance)
Pros: Does everything even 802.11n
Cons: It's a UTM device and I don't need UTM. Firmware only maintenance is ~100/year Ouch!

COTS4: Zywall USG 20W ~200
Pros: Seems right
Cons: wifi concerns

If the HP (H3C) units or PFSense did 802.11n those would be my leading contenders.

I have an innate aversion to UTM units where there is a software subscription tied to firmware updates, although they're not totally ruled out.

Are there other units I should be considering for an evaluation? If you had similar requirements what would you want to use and maybe a little blurb on the why?

Mikrotik

Use Mikrotik router to control your vpn, wifi and 3g failover. Visit linktechs.net for network support. Visit Mikrotik.com to learn about products

VPN appliance recommendations

My branch solution has a lot parts so lots of opportunity for fail. I would like to get the 802.11 and 3G networks in one unit.
Cradlepoint 3G/4G routers. I use them professionally- no problems. I recommended them to a friend who does IT support for public libraries needing Internet access via cellular. He reports that they just run, months on end with no need for attention. Cradlepoint has told me that their smaller products are used for machine-to-machine telemetry and ATMs, and run unattended.

They also have fail-over from WAN port to cellular, and fail-back. And VPN.

(I have no stake in the company).

Cradlepoint 3G/4G routers.

Cradlepoint is definitely on the short list. I spoke with a Sales Engineer today about them and will have an MBR1400 unit to test with here shortly. I was speaking with the SE about my current solution and trying to emulate key parts. Initially, it looks like one part (dns forwarding by zone/domain) isn't there. The initial thought is put a DNS server address on the far end of the VPN tunnel in the primary position and see what breaks when VPN tunnel drops or failover to cellular occurs. We'll see.