What's new

VPN Client in Android - how to route all traffic via VPN server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sbfnu

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

After I set up the VPN server of Merlin (using DDNS) and configured the client part on my Android device the VPN connection is established successfully.

But I realized that only a small portion of traffic is routed via the VPN.

Since I like to use that when being in cafes, hotels etc using their open hotspot:

How to route all client traffic via VPN?

Thank you!

which VPN server did you set up? OpenVPN? PPTP? or IPSEC?
I got lazy and just setup IPSEC for now, it redirect traffic as one would expect.
there should be an option to redirect internet traffic in advance setup for OpenVPN, maybe for PPTP as well.
Untitled.png
currently on stock firmware, but should not have much difference

Hi all,

After I set up the VPN server of Merlin (using DDNS) and configured the client part on my Android device the VPN connection is established successfully.

But I realized that only a small portion of traffic is routed via the VPN.

Since I like to use that when being in cafes, hotels etc using their open hotspot:

How to route all client traffic via VPN?

Thank you!

You do understand that when you route your traffic from your phone to your VPN server, your speed connecting to the WWW through the server will be reduced to some percentage of the upload speed of your Internet connection at the server's location. Might not be a problem if you have a symetrical connection from your ISP.

A better solution is to subscribe to a VPN service and connect to it using their VPN client on your phone.

which VPN server did you set up? OpenVPN? PPTP? or IPSEC?
I got lazy and just setup IPSEC for now, it redirect traffic as one would expect.
there should be an option to redirect internet traffic in advance setup for OpenVPN, maybe for PPTP as well.
View attachment 13749
currently on stock firmware, but should not have much difference
I have setup OpenVPN - and I have no IPsec option at all. How to get that?

Also, how to get rid of the certificate error when using https? I'm using DDNS, but haven't had any luck of generating the right certificate for my URL. How to accomplish that?

Thanks for helping me.

You do understand that when you route your traffic from your phone to your VPN server, your speed connecting to the WWW through the server will be reduced to some percentage of the upload speed of your Internet connection at the server's location.
No problem, I can live with that and enjoying the benefit of the added security of my own VPN server connection.

A better solution is to subscribe to a VPN service and connect to it using their VPN client on your phone.
I disagree, this is not the better solution. Security-wise I trust my own VPN server way more then the one from a service provider that I cannot audit.

I have setup OpenVPN - and I have no IPsec option at all. How to get that?

Also, how to get rid of the certificate error when using https? I'm using DDNS, but haven't had any luck of generating the right certificate for my URL. How to accomplish that?

Thanks for helping me.
which router do you have? and which firmware version is it?
Untitled2.png
but even with OpenVPN, you should be able to just redirect traffic with the option checked.

by genereating certificate, I am assuming you mean
Untitled.png
last time I had issue overnight, I just power cycle and clear nvram, didn't try anything else ;x
It does require you to reconfigure everything, so can be a pain to do it.
Maybe someone else will have better solution

Router: RT-AC68U

FW: 3.0.0.4.380.68_4

I checked, and I don't have that redirect option (maybe it is called differently?).

Certificate: I have that https error regardless of rebooting the router. I haven't figured out how to generate the correct certificate for dnsomatic DDNS yet...

@indark: Indeed, it works now - after I checked the redirect traffic option!

Now I only have to master my certificate error, but I'll create another thread for that since it's a different topic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!