What's new

VPN "Error - check configuration!" Firmware:386.10 (RT-AC86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anyone had issues connecting OVPN using UDP. I had issues connecting my cameras remotely using UDP protocol when upgraded to 388.2 on AX-86U. Used to work perfectly - I had to change to TCP protocol and then everything works ok again.
My Private Internet Access (PIA) OPVN is running fine with the 388.2, except for having to adjust some parameters due to incompatibility with openvpn 2.6. I do not have a remote camera, so sorry I have no idea with that.

Hi @Cleanev ,

Thank you for your detailed comment! According to the log, it is quite strange to me that the VPN connection was initially setup Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]191.101.174.248:1195 with the public VPN IP of 191.101.174.248 via port 1195. Moreover, your local VPN IP is also matched with 10.159.0.38 as in the log and the screenshot.

If @RMerlin or other forum members do not have any suggestion, I think that a reset may help.

P/s: There is an deprecated parameter in your VPN custom configuration section
WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED. Use --remote-cert-tls instead. You should change it to avoid any incompatibility in the future.

Edited to add that ExpressVPN has a website to check IP address. You may try to check whether your VPN was already connected or not:

https://www.expressvpn.com/what-is-my-ip

I reset and setup router from scratch and everything worked out first time after configuring. I even tested using various different location and each one worked well.

Appreciate everyone’s assistance.

You still have "keysize 256" in your Custom Configuration as shown in your picture., You have only comment it out in config file.

@octopus - from what I read all along, it is OK to comment out keysize entry or remove it from configuration before uploading. As mentioned on another response, I reset and setup from scratch and currently have keysize entry commented and things worked out.

I would request others to chime in if my method is incorrect.

thank you

I reset and setup router from scratch and everything worked out first time after configuring. I even tested using various different location and each one worked well.

Appreciate everyone’s assistance.
You are welcome @Cleanev. It is great to know that the reset works for you 😊