What's new

VPN for only one client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ratte61

Occasional Visitor
hello

first am a newbe here :)

how i must configure my vpn settings that only one client is reached. 192.168.1.36 (nas station)
my friend has a fixed ivp4 adress,i will allow him to acess only to the nas,nothing else.

many thanks for your help !

hello

how i must configure my vpn settings that only one client is reached. 192.168.1.36 (nas station)
my friend has a fixed ivp4 adress,i will allow him to acess only to the nas,nothing else.

You need to check out the Asuswrt-Merlin Wiki on Policy Based Routing.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Policy-based-routing

This should explain it, take a look, read it carefully, maybe twice. ;)

If you have questions come back here and ask.

edit-
Oops, I missed the server part, sorry.

Last edited:
hello

What type of NAS do you have?
What type of access to the NAS do you want your friend to have on your NAS?
Have you considered setting up an account for him via your NAS that way you don't have to create a VPN connection through your router?

I have a Synology NAS. If I wanted someone to access my NAS, I just set up an account for him in the Synology settings and he can access the NAS using the Synology Apps.

The problem with a standard GUI VPN server setup is that whomever you allow to access your NAS will also have the ability to access all devices connected to your LAN.

A better way to approach it might be to run the VPN server on your NAS. The NAS server I can run on my Synology NAS has the option to only allow devices connecting to the NAS access to the NAS only.

The disadvantages of doing it this way are that mine and many NAS processors are not that powerful so data throughput on the NAS will be slower. Another potential problem is if you also want to run a VPN server on your router you will have to coordinate your settings on the two VPNs so they don't conflict.

What type of NAS do you have?
What type of access to the NAS do you want your friend to have on your NAS?
Have you considered setting up an account for him via your NAS that way you don't have to create a VPN connection through your router?

I have a Synology NAS. If I wanted someone to access my NAS, I just set up an account for him in the Synology settings and he can access the NAS using the Synology Apps.

I had the same questions as you .... I do not get the mix between VPN and a "simple" NAS access ..... unless we misunderstood the OP ....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!