What's new

VPN SET UP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAWRAW

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys I turn to you for help, I just bought an asus rt ac87u, loaded the Merlin firmware. Subscribed for the Express Vpn but having one heck of a time getting the thing working to my liking. Would someone with some patient please give a new techie hand

you should just be able to upload the openvpn config file via the web GUI and click apply to save and turn it on.

as far as i can tell step 1 is advanced setting step 2 open vpnserver step 3 enable vpn server, it's the next steps that i need guidance with

no no no. you will be using the openvpn CLIENT to connect to Express VPN servers.. They are the server, you are the CLIENT.

Have you tried going to express VPN's website to see if they have configuration details ? I subscribe to private Internet access and they have very clear steps for openVPN config for tomato, dd-wrt, etc. firmware. So, give that a shot first.

Have you tried going to express VPN's website to see if they have configuration details ? I subscribe to private Internet access and they have very clear steps for openVPN config for tomato, dd-wrt, etc. firmware. So, give that a shot first.
i have tried and they don't support merlin, according to there great tech support, ExpressVPN supposed to be good but i'm running out of patience with them. I know it's probably not that hard for some of the more experienced guy in the forum. so hopefully i get lucky

i have tried and they don't support merlin, according to there great tech support, ExpressVPN supposed to be good but i'm running out of patience with them. I know it's probably not that hard for some of the more experienced guy in the forum. so hopefully i get lucky

if it supports DDWRT, it will also support Merlin.

You've received a 'Welcome to ExpressVPN' mail from these guys.
In that you have a link 'To setup ExpressVPN ....'.
Click that. It will open your browser.
Click on the red field called 'Linux & Routers OpenVPN'
Chose the coutry config file you want and save it to a location on your computer (*.ovpn, you can install two separate configs on the router at any one time).

Go to VPN/OpenVPN Clients
Under Client control select 'Client 1' and import the *.ovpn file you downloaded
All done.
Repeat the last steps for 'Client 2' if you want.

To activate VPN select on the same page one of the the two Clients and switch 'Service state' to on.
Then at the bottom of the page click 'Apply'.

But before you do that, do a google search for 'my ip' and write it down.
It takes about 5 Minutes to fully activate ExpressVPN on the router for me (It's a lot quicker on the iPad/iPhone I have).
Then do a NEW google search for 'my ip' again, not just a refresh of the previous search. You'll be connected to wherever you've chosen.

Last edited: