What's new

VPNMON VPNMON-R2 v2.0 -Jul 10, 2022- Monitor your VPN connection's Health (Thread locked/closed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Viktor Jaep can you add support for perfect privacy ?
Just wanted to pass along some good news, @Swistheater ... I've finally been able to make "some" sense of Perfect Privacy's APIs, and am now able to pull server names by country, and get load information for a specific server. Getting closer! ;)

Hi @Swistheater ... I was wondering if you'd be willing to give this a try, and be my Perfect Privacy VPN guinea pig? :) If this doesn't work for you, please let me know, and I'll sign up for a 1 month subscription so I can do some more troubleshooting, OK?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new?
- Added support for the Perfect Privacy VPN service. This has the all same features you would get from NordVPN or SurfShark... with the only exception being, you won't be able to add a list of IPs to Skynet in order to whitelist them. It probably is possible, so I will continue working on that, as the API is challenging. But the core functionality is all there -- being able to use SuperRandom functionality, dropping, reconnecting and randomizing, and killing the connection if the load gets too high. Enjoy!

Hi @Swistheater ... I was wondering if you'd be willing to give this a try, and be my Perfect Privacy VPN guinea pig? :) If this doesn't work for you, please let me know, and I'll sign up for a 1 month subscription so I can do some more troubleshooting, OK?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new?
- Added support for the Perfect Privacy VPN service. This has the all same features you would get from NordVPN or SurfShark... with the only exception being, you won't be able to add a list of IPs to Skynet in order to whitelist them. It probably is possible, so I will continue working on that, as the API is challenging. But the core functionality is all there -- being able to use SuperRandom functionality, dropping, reconnecting and randomizing, and killing the connection if the load gets too high. Enjoy!
AND he said it could not be DONE!

and here we are, and it is done!. Someone please give @Viktor Jaep a coffee!

Great work man!. It seems to be working great!. I will keep testing and let you know how it goes.

AND he said it could not be DONE!

and here we are, and it is done!. Someone please give @Viktor Jaep a coffee!

Great work man!. It seems to be working great!. I will keep testing and let you know how it goes.
So glad to hear it's working, @Swistheater! I hate putting something out there I couldn't really test for myself... but if I need to, I don't mind signing up for a month ;) Please stay in touch and let me know how things go! Give it about 48hrs, and tell me how things go through its resets. Thanks much!!

So glad to hear it's working, @Swistheater! I hate putting something out there I couldn't really test for myself... but if I need to, I don't mind signing up for a month ;) Please stay in touch and let me know how things go! Give it about 48hrs, and tell me how things go through its resets. Thanks much!!
Hey Viktor perhaps signing up for a month will tell you if you are able to incorporate your other features......;) I will keep you updated on my entourage usage of it. This SuperRandom is good for my adventures.

Hey Viktor perhaps signing up for a month will tell you if you are able to incorporate your other features......;) I will keep you updated on my entourage usage of it. This SuperRandom is good for my adventures.
I've been able to figure out how to whitelist Perfect Privacy servers... will be adding that into the next beta, and will let you know when it's ready to try! :)

OK @Swistheater ... incoming beta with Skynet firewall import functionality that will import and whitelist all known Perfect Privacy VPN servers to minimize any connection disruptions! :) Please don't forget to run through the -config again to enable this feature. This now completes adding Perfect Privacy capabilities, and gives it the same functionality as NordVPN in this script! Whoo! ;)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new since 1.7b2?
- Added functionality to import all known Perfect Privacy VPN IP addresses into the Skynet firewall whitelist to minimize connection blockage issues.

Last edited:
OK @Swistheater ... incoming beta with Skynet firewall import functionality that will import and whitelist all known Perfect Privacy VPN to minimize any connection disruptions! :) Please don't forget to run through the -config again to enable this feature. This now completes adding Perfect Privacy capabilities, and gives it the same functionality as NordVPN in this script! Whoo! ;)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new since 1.7b2?
- Added functionality to import all known Perfect Privacy VPN IP addresses into the Skynet firewall whitelist to minimize connection blockage issues.
Great work!. Just wanted to report my test from before were perfect. I am going to now upgrade. I will give you more feedback probably sometime in the middle of tomorrow after I get a chance to play with the full functionality.

Great work!. Just wanted to report my test from before were perfect. I am going to now upgrade. I will give you more feedback probably sometime in the middle of tomorrow after I get a chance to play with the full functionality.
Hi @Swistheater! Just checking in... everything go OK today? ;)

While I wait to get positive confirmation back from @Swistheater that Perfect Privacy is working OK... I'm throwing one more tentative beta out there because I'm introducing a pretty major change... ie. VPNMON-R2 is going to require that Entware is installed, and specifically having a dependency on the CoreUtils Timeout utility. A new -install menu has been created to guide you through the install of CoreUtils Timeout... but you are on your own to make sure Entware is successfully installed first. This is in response to my post in regards to script hangups that might be affecting others than myself, possibly other RT-AC86U's, or perhaps even other routers... not quite sure yet. But this utility has helped provide much stability for me personally these many months... so in the end it's worth it, ensuring that nothing will interrupt the VPNMON-R2 script, making it even that more reliable!

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new since v1.7b3?
* SIGNIFICANT: Broke down and added the requirement to have Entware installed in order to utilize the CoreUtils Timeout function. This is needed to cut down on (what I'm guessing is) random hardware-level hangups when calling for nvram values specifically on RT-AC86U routers. When running VPNMON-R2, it will prompt you if it isn't able to find the required Entware dependencies, and ask you to run the script with the -install switch. The newly added -install menu will guide the user through the install of the dependencies.
* ADDED: Created a new Install menu that you can access when running 'vpnmon-r2.sh -install'. This option will guide the user through installing the required Entware CoreUtils Timeout utility, and prompt the user to go through the config menu. You also have the option to force re-install the Entware Timeout utility, or go through the vpnmon-r2 uninstall process.
* FIXED: There was an issue with the Load calculation for Perfect Privacy. Added corrective measures, and should be showing the correct values now!

Broke down and added the requirement to have Entware installed in order to utilize the CoreUtils Timeout function. This is needed to cut down on (what I'm guessing is) random hardware-level hangups when calling for nvram values specifically on RT-AC86U routers.

@Viktor Jaep is it possible for you to only enforce this for the RT-AC86U, to manage the bug? Seems like an unnecessary requirement for other models …

FYI - Minor typo:
1654381488792.png

@Viktor Jaep is it possible for you to only enforce this for the RT-AC86U, to manage the bug? Seems like an unnecessary requirement for other models …
Steve... how's this for a compromise? During the -install process, it will ask if you want to install the Timeout utility... if you don't, then it just bypasses this requirement, and doesn't require you to have Entware installed. But if you do end up installing it (and have Entware installed), then it will use the timeout utility when doing NVRAM calls.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b5.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new since v1.7b4?
* CHANGED: No longer requires you (or forces you) to use the CoreUtils-Timeout package, nor does it require you to have Entware installed in order to run VPNMON-R2. If you do choose to install it, which is optional during the -install process, then it will use the Timeout utility when doing NVRAM calls to help reduce script hangups.

While I wait to get positive confirmation back from @Swistheater that Perfect Privacy is working OK... I'm throwing one more tentative beta out there because I'm introducing a pretty major change... ie. VPNMON-R2 is going to require that Entware is installed, and specifically having a dependency on the CoreUtils Timeout utility. A new -install menu has been created to guide you through the install of CoreUtils Timeout... but you are on your own to make sure Entware is successfully installed first. This is in response to my post in regards to script hangups that might be affecting others than myself, possibly other RT-AC86U's, or perhaps even other routers... not quite sure yet. But this utility has helped provide much stability for me personally these many months... so in the end it's worth it, ensuring that nothing will interrupt the VPNMON-R2 script, making it even that more reliable!

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-1.7b4.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

What's new since v1.7b3?
* SIGNIFICANT: Broke down and added the requirement to have Entware installed in order to utilize the CoreUtils Timeout function. This is needed to cut down on (what I'm guessing is) random hardware-level hangups when calling for nvram values specifically on RT-AC86U routers. When running VPNMON-R2, it will prompt you if it isn't able to find the required Entware dependencies, and ask you to run the script with the -install switch. The newly added -install menu will guide the user through the install of the dependencies.
* ADDED: Created a new Install menu that you can access when running 'vpnmon-r2.sh -install'. This option will guide the user through installing the required Entware CoreUtils Timeout utility, and prompt the user to go through the config menu. You also have the option to force re-install the Entware Timeout utility, or go through the vpnmon-r2 uninstall process.
* FIXED: There was an issue with the Load calculation for Perfect Privacy. Added corrective measures, and should be showing the correct values now!
All is running well!.

Steve... how's this for a compromise?
Good compromise. Sounds eminently sensible to me. I’ve got Entware installed anyway but it just seemed to be a superfluous minimum requirement for those non-AC86U owners who don’t - and don’t require Entware for anything else.

I actually like the uniqueness of the question to consider it fine as is. :D:cool: Only pros can have minor typos such as this that actually kinda make sense.

One does not simply sync their VPN with their guest network... they must sythe or **scythe** it
Hahaha that totally cracked me up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!