What's new

Waking up NAS every 60min. - Create static ARP command?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
Many Synology owners experience this and find it to be a router caused issue.

Our NAS is connected to an AC66U via Rj45. Our TV and laptops connect to the router via Rj45, creating a small LAN. This AC66U is not connected to the net, and both radios are off. (We have another AC66U that provides net access).

Synology owners state: "Router was sending ARP "who has" requests, which are known to wake up our models". "Adding a static ARP command to the router solves the wake-up issue - note that you need an advanced router for that."

Is is possible to create this static ARP command using ASUS stock firmware? Any steps on how to do this?

In case someone else reads this -
Synology NAS requests DHCP IP renewal every 1 hour from the router. It's sending DHCPREQUEST command to the router. When the lease is renewed, even the IP is the same, the HDD need to spin up to write to the file.

THE FIX- In Synology DSM 4, Network Interface tab change "Get Network Configuration Automatically (DHCP)" to "Use Manual Configuration". In DSM 5, settings are similar.

I don't recall exactly the behavior DSM4 had, but I'm sure DSM5 is trying to renew the DHCP address when lease is 90% "old". Very much inline with most Linux kernels.
My Synology can sleep for hours as long as any Windows machine is not looking for neighbors.
In my Asus router age of a DHCP lease is 2 days, 172800 seconds.

And I can't find a way to have Asus reply to a Arp request, although it has the ip/mac reservation configured so, in theory, it could answer as it has the info.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online