What's new

WAN IP is private IP ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Although my ISP modem is set to bridge mode and I use PPPoE to connect to the ISP on an Asus router with Merlin f/w, just recently the WAN IP is now a private IP, (10.144.99.117), NOT a public IP issued by the ISP I usually see.

I made no changes to anything aside from installing diversion.

How is this possible and what could be the cause of this anomaly?

Thanks in advance for any assistance in understanding and resolving this.

Regards,
buk

Probably changes made by your ISP to their infrastructure. I suspect you need to talk to them about it as it's not something you can control from your side.

I stumbled along the issue of CG-NAT (carrier grade NAT) which I believe now is what has transpired in my situation. My ISP does not speak good "technical" English and I have put off calling them to confirm this abberation, which on the surface appears to be very common procedure undertaken by ISP's world wide. Case closed at this point.
Thanks for your input Mr. Taylor.

Probably changes made by your ISP to their infrastructure. I suspect you need to talk to them about it as it's not something you can control from your side.

Yep - when I was in the Telco Business - all subs got private addressing for ipv4, and we did have a range that was moving over to CGN with migration to 4G-LTE and full ipv6 transition...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!