What's new

WAN MAC address changing at random upon reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jyavenard

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

Something I've noticed since getting the Asus RC-AC68U (running latest Merlin 380.57_0), is that upon rebooting or changing any settings, the WAN mac address changes to what appear to be a random mac address taken from any of the device present on my network.

Sometime it's my VoIP phone, sometimes it's my printer, sometimes it's my laptop you get the grip.

I've tried setting the mac address field in http://192.168.0.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp to a set value, blank etc.. No matter what it keeps changing it back to the one of a local device.

The annoying thing with this, is that whenever my ISP detects that a new mac address is connected, I have no connection until I re-register the modem (it's in bridge mode, hence the WAN mac address of the asus is important).

Any ideas what's going on here, and it there's something we can do about it so it doesn't always change?

Thanks.
JY

You are in Router mode, correct?

You did not disable any important options to make it act like an AP?

It always appear to be wired ones.

Rt-ac68 is always in router mode of course..

Googling the issue I found people having similar problem, but no solution was posted...

I had upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday to test, and just realised many computers can't log to the guest 2.4GHz wifi now...

Going to do a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch; which is an absolute pain as I have about 30 static IP defined in the dhcp server config and the damn page doesn't let me copy/paste; I must retype the MAC addresses and IP by hand.

It always appear to be wired ones.

Rt-ac68 is always in router mode of course..

Googling the issue I found people having similar problem, but no solution was posted...

I had upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday to test, and just realised many computers can't log to the guest 2.4GHz wifi now...

Going to do a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch; which is an absolute pain as I have about 30 static IP defined in the dhcp server config and the damn page doesn't let me copy/paste; I must retype the MAC addresses and IP by hand.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

The above is exactly what you need. :)

So you upgraded to 380.57 without restoring ro factory default settings afterwards?

Rt-ac68 ....,

See second para of the first post (Merlin's) at:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-380-57-is-now-available.29308/

So you upgraded to 380.57 without restoring ro factory default settings afterwards?
The reason I upgraded the firmware was because I already had the issue earlier on and wanted to check if maybe it was fixed in later ones.
So the upgrade itself didn't cause the issue of the WAN MAC address changing at random.

Damned I missed that..
After a factory reset I can now access 2.4GHz.
Manually restored all my settings, wish I had knows about that utility earlier on.

I've only ever used tomato firmware before, and the backup file is readable in a text editor, so I never really had to use a special utility to restore my settings from another backup.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!