What's new

WD 4TB Unmounted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

Sometimes my large WD USB drive is seen as unmounted.

I just checked at boot time and there were these messages :
Code:
Dec  3 16:47:50 hotplug[947]: USB /dev/sda1(ntfs) failed to mount at the first try!
Dec  3 16:47:51 kernel: tntfs error (device sda1, pid 1239): parse_options(): Unrecognized mount option sparse.
Dec  3 16:47:51 kernel: tfat: fail_safe is enabled
Dec  3 16:47:51 kernel: tntfs: fail_safe is enabled
Dec  3 16:47:51 kernel: tntfs info: NTFS volume name 'My Book^Ep', version 3.1 (cluster_size 4096, PAGE_CACHE_SIZE 4096).
Dec  3 16:47:55 hotplug[947]: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/My_Book
Dec  3 16:47:59 rc_service: hotplug 947:notify_rc restart_nasapps

I remember RMerlin having this explanation in another thread :
Check the system log for any error message. If it's a large drive, it's possible that the filesystem is flagged as dirty, and it's taking a long time running a chkdsk on it. You could try plugging it back on your PC, running chkdsk on it, then plugging it back to the router.
As suggested, my disk was previously checked on a PC and everything was ok.

Based on these messages, any suggestions ?

Thanks.

What is the value of nvram variable

usb_fs_ntfs_sparse

(if it exists). If it's set to '1', try setting to '0'.

The other thing I've read may help is to format the disk with a larger cluster size (8K or 16K).

I have consistent "unable to mount" , "Stalled endpoint", something along "reset Superspeed USB" amongst other errors with a mybook 4GB, however it DOES work perfectly fine as long as I dismount it before reboot. Another problem you may see (I'm interested in finding out) is a 40ish MB/s limit on speed. I'm not all that suprised when you check all the drivers this thing installs when plugged into windows, anywho I hope to remedy any problems by ridding the drive of its evil garments and dressing it up in something like this.

What is the value of nvram variable
usb_fs_ntfs_sparse
(if it exists). If it's set to '1', try setting to '0'.
[...].
NTFS Sparse Files Support field was set to "enable". I changed it for "disable.

Thanks,

GH