What's new

We all got scammed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

urkalz

New Around Here
This router is a useless piece of junk and everyone that spent money on this router knows it. You might aswell have sticked to your free ISP router and used a extender for better Wifi connectivity.

I'm gonna go ahead and warn potential customers to avoid this product. Asus is a newbie in this segment and their software is buggy.

This router is a useless piece of junk and everyone that spent money on this router knows it. You might aswell have sticked to your free ISP router and used a extender for better Wifi connectivity.

I'm gonna go ahead and warn potential customers to avoid this product. Asus is a newbie in this segment and their software is buggy.
From this, do we assume that you've had WiFi problems with your router? Please could you elaborate?

I FULLY DISAGREE WITH THIS BOLD STATEMENT!

Why?
I had many routers the last years as I wanted to use the 802.11n (n-WLAN) from the beginning. The routers I had in the last 3 years are:
- Linksys WRT610N
- Netgear WNDR3700v2
- Belkin Belkin f5d8236-4 v3
I used mainly DD-WRT firmware on the Linksys and Netgear.
So I can compare the ASUS devices with the rest of the world... :rolleyes:

The Asus RT-N66U is by far the best router I ever had!
Allthough it has the nearly the same Broadcom chipset, it's by far better then the Netgear was:
- Much faster and more stable in unsing Entware (Optware)
- By far better WLAN reach and performance
- By aeons better firmware from Asus (and even exeeded by Merlin) then DD-WRT will ever be! :)

Now: Tell us your problem and we will jointly solve it!!! ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Same here... WRT54G, WRT300N, WRT350N, WRT610N v1 typically running a flavor of DD-WRT. The ASUS RT-N66U is the best router I've ever used. Stable, consistent. I liked it so much that I bought an RT-AC66U for home and am liking it too. The AC has some growing pains, but nothing like the WRTs.

If you don't like the router, put it up for sale and see how fast it goes.

- I dont know it yet
- My ISP does not provide "free" routers. TWC allows you to "rent" them and they are not yours, nor yours to fiddle with.
- Havn't ASUS been doing this for a few years? Teardowns from the hardware within the routers have shown to be top-notch stuff, haven't they.
- The only thing I don't like about the "software" (you mean firmware right?), is the non-multiple login thing, that not even Merlin can change. This was EASILY cured by using Shibby's TomatoUSB, which is honestly an AMAZING firmware.

I don't think your argument holds enough, without any reasons as to "why". I am curious as to why?

I own both the AC66U and N66U. The AC one may go back to amazon (bc only after-market firmware is Merlins... which is great, but 1 single persistent login was a deal breaker... plus I love the advanced features of Tomato) because for $150 I could just buy powerline adapters, but I'll see.

Anyway, care to elaborate?

I moved from a Netgear WNDR-3700 to two subsequent ASUS routers (RT-N66U and RT-AC66U), and have experienced none of the problems OP referenced. Performance and wireless coverage has been substantially improved. More data is needed to better respond to your comments...

My three RT-N66Us must have something wrong because they almost never need to be rebooted, have incredible range and continue to work well with over thirty wireless devices connected to them at once. This is strange behavior compared to most of the other brands of wireless routers I have owned in the past. I have to warn everyone that these routers behave so strangely that I am considering purchasing a fourth and a fifth RT-N66U...maybe even a RT-AC66U. :eek:

Last edited:

Did you just purchase your new router "today"? :D

Hi,
Name a single product in this world which is bug free, please. I have a feeling
I am feeding a ttroll.

Troll or not, what's the point of arguing with this person? Waste of time.

Troll or not, what's the point of arguing with this person? Waste of time.
I agree, but I am still willing to offer help:

@urkalz: Tell us your problem and we will jointly solve it!!! :)

I don't think it's a piece of junk, but it is quite useless for the purpose I bought it for. Have to agree, the wireless strength and stability is excellent compared to the offering from VM (superdud). On the other hand though, the parental controls just do not work, my 2 daughters have access all the time even though it is set to turn off at 9 o'clock on school nights and 10 o'clock at weekends. The client list just does not update at all unless you reboot the router, and even then it is tempramental. I will be returning mine as my DIR 635 although not as fast was far superior in these departments.

Interesting information but if as others already have written : what is your problem/s and you can get help from others ....
I have had problems too with the N66U - RMA-d 4 units but tested others - Netgear and bought an AC66U instead. The firmware is still something Asus has to work with to improve. I bought a N66U and installed TomatoUSB Shibby on it and it works without any problems. The same thing I can say of my TP-Link WDR-4300 which for about the half price of the N66U works fine.
I use the N66U because my IPS:s free router which just provides a 2.4 GHZ band with max 54 Mbps speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!