What's new

Weirdness.... GS108T connected to WNR3500L

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knwilson

New Around Here
Bought the GS108T to add additional ports to my network and to provide LAG for my DS1513+. The switch is connected to a Netgear WNR3500L Wireless router which is connected to my cable modem. I have multiple devices both wired and wireless.

I am experiencing very slow connectivity between wired devices connected to the GS108T and wireless devices connected to the Netgear WNR3500L. If I move the wired devices off the GS108T and back to the WNR3500L, the speeds are normal again?

Example #1: I have a a wireless printer (HP Envy 100 D410) connected to the WNR3500L. I have my laptops (1 Macbook Pro 10.9.3 and 1 Windows 8.1) connected via wire to the GS108T. If I try to print to the wireless printer it takes roughly 7 minutes to print a single test page. If I plug the laptops directed into the ports on the WNR3500L, the same test page print job take less than 10 seconds.

Example #2: I have Plex Media Server running on my Windows 8.1 laptop connected to the GS108T. If I try to watch something via my iPAD using wireless, it will not work. Take several minutes to navigate to what I want to watch and when I try to play the file, nothing happens. If I move the Windows 8.1 (Plex Server) to the ethernet port on the WBR3500L, I am stream the video immediately without any performance issues.

Any assistance you can provide would be great.

Thank you,

KW

I have a GS108e (not t) connected to my wireless router. Works fine.

Try this: look at the lights on the switch. Is one port blinking madly all the time? If so, maybe it's a port with the device creating a loop (floods packets). Unplug that port or power off the device on that port and see what happens.

And this: Unplug things from the switch or router and see if that is creating a loop as above, or some sort of switch port auto-negotiate flailing. I've not seen this. But long ago I recall a loop due to the way the WiF AP was configured.

Also, use the GS108t software to reset to defaults.

I have a GS108e (not t) connected to my wireless router. Works fine.

Try this: look at the lights on the switch. Is one port blinking madly all the time? If so, maybe it's a port with the device creating a loop (floods packets). Unplug that port or power off the device on that port and see what happens.

And this: Unplug things from the switch or router and see if that is creating a loop as above, or some sort of switch port auto-negotiate flailing. I've not seen this. But long ago I recall a loop due to the way the WiF AP was configured.

Also, use the GS108t software to reset to defaults.

Thanks for the response and advice. I checked the lights and none of ports seems "busier" than the others... I did however try unplugging everything from the switch except the DS1513 NAS using 2 ports (5/6 LAG). Still terrible performance when running tests (Write=2.45Mbps Read=.065Mbps)

I attempted to reset the switch to factory settings as well, but still no luck (obviously this also disabled the LAG).

I tried replacing the switch with a TEG-S80g switch, but still really bad performance when attempting to communicate with device on the WNR3500L.

This makes me think the problem is with the router. I decided to factory reset it as well and reconfigure the basics for wireless and DHCP, but still no luck... :-(

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks again!!!

you're on the right track.. disconnect everything except PC connected to router. Nothing else. Except the WAN-to modem.
Back to basics.
If that's stable, then we have a know good setup from which to expand piece by piece.

I don't normally have any machines connected to the LAN ports on the WNR3500L. All wired connections are on the GS108T. I removed everything except a laptop on each device and ran a bunch of tests. Here are all the results.

Transfer speeds WNR3500L to GS108T:
Wireless to Wired: Write=2.49Mbps Read=0.65Mbps
Wired to Wired: Write=4.78Mbps Read=1.81Mbps

Wireless to Wired: Write=32.96Mbps Read=9.53Mbps
Wired to Wired: Write=119.32Mbps Read=4.33Mbps

Transfer speeds GS108T to GS108T:
Wired to Wired: Write=96.39Mbps Read=665.77Mbps

Transfer speeds WNR3500L to WNR3500L:
Wired to Wired: Write=195.43Mbps Read=262.28Mbps
Wired to Wireless: Write=32.55Mbps Read=40.53Mbps
Wireless to Wireless: Write=32.84Mbps Read25.24=Mbps
Wireless to Wired: Write=30.01Mbps Read=66.60Mbps

where you say
what do you mean? Could it be, in this case,
A computer connected by wire to the WNR3500L and
a second computer connected to a port on the GS108T

And the GS108T is connected to a port on the WNR3500L, assumed.

what software for testing?

where you say

what do you mean? Could it be, in this case,
A computer connected by wire to the WNR3500L and
a second computer connected to a port on the GS108T

And the GS108T is connected to a port on the WNR3500L, assumed.

what software for testing?

Yes, all the speed test were done from a laptops connected via wire to the WNR3500L and the GS108T and the GS108T is connected to a port on the WNR3500L.

The software I am using for the test is called LAN Speed Test.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!