What's new

What is the dBi value of AC68U Antenna ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm pretty sure they are 5dBi.

However; note that the RT-AC68U varies the power output as it deems fit.

Also; with the 9dBi antenna - you'll need to aim them more carefully; as they become more powerful, they become more directional too. They also need more height to operate as effectively as possible.

What is the physical relationship of your router to your intended device? What obstacles are in the way? What is the construction of your building?

Also; with the 9dBi antenna - you'll need to aim them more carefully; as they become more powerful, they become more directional too. They also need more height to operate as effectively as possible.

What is the physical relationship of your router to your intended device? What obstacles are in the way? What is the construction of your building?

How would you aim them? From what they look like it seems that they'd radiate in the typical shape:

L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

So that putting the side antennae at 45 degree angle would give complete coverage.

If you had answered the rest of the questions I may have been able to answer this one.

(The donut becomes 'flatter' with higher dBi antenna).

I actually picked up some 7dBi ones off Amazon the other day. Didn't notice an improvement. But I moved my router so I have greater range of movement in the antenna I'm gonna try them again

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

thanks for the reply :)

Q1
1 - Moto Modem (NAPT mode is disabled)
2 - hocked up to the router (Wired)
3 - 2 Media servers connected to the router (Wired)
4 - bunch of cell phones , tablets and PC connected (Wireless) 2.4 GHz <<< Here is the issue with range and stability

Q2
Obstacles lol :D - router is placed in living room (behind TV) I know it sounds stupid but its the only place i could think of :p + fireplace on the right side of the router . Antennas are directed toward rooms :D

Q3
Concrete Construction - no insulation

Last edited:
Q1, 4: Have you tried different channels? Have your tried 20 MHz channel width? Note that cell phones and tablet do not have the best wireless characteristics - they may simply need to be closer.

Q2: You need to move the router from behind the TV - higher should be perfect. Antenna should not be pointed towards the clients (at least; not the pointy end). For the most Omni directional range; they should be in a 'W' configuration, with the flat part of the antenna (they're not perfectly round) towards the rooms/devices you want the best connection to.

Q3: can you sand the concrete down about 8"? :)

Hi,
Suffix i stands for iso pole(unit vertical antenna in free space as reference). Gain is one thing but what kinda vertical and horizontal radiation pattern and angle does it have? What is typical SWR? If SWR is too high for example, erp will decrease and it can make the RF amp. chip run hotter, even burn out. From my year's experience living in a 2 story house with computers from basement to top floor loft, whole house coverage is best when router is located on the loft and worst when the router is located in the basement. I figure the vertical radiation angle is pretty low. Now we have one extra thing to play with, beam forming, I don't have test instrument covering GHz range. I do have some for HF/VHF range being a HAM since 1960(US Extra, Canadian advanced class with digital endorsement) If antenna supplier can't provide aforementioned parameters, consider it junk. IMO. not worth spending money on it. Antenna does not work well in real life even if designed perfect on a piece of paper. It needs lots of field testing from designed prototype.

Hi,
Does the antenna come with data sheet? Just gain figure, that's it? What about radiation pattern/angle, Typical SWR figure, etc. I live in 2 story house, always whole house coverage from basement to top floor loft is best when router is located on the loft computer desk. Also keep in mind router antenna is omni directional, better locate it near center of the house, as high as you can. This is from my experience.

Q1, 4: Have you tried different channels? Have your tried 20 MHz channel width? Note that cell phones and tablet do not have the best wireless characteristics - they may simply need to be closer.

Q2: You need to move the router from behind the TV - higher should be perfect. Antenna should not be pointed towards the clients (at least; not the pointy end). For the most Omni directional range; they should be in a 'W' configuration, with the flat part of the antenna (they're not perfectly round) towards the rooms/devices you want the best connection to.

Q3: can you sand the concrete down about 8"? :)

A - yes i did try channel 6 and 11 . apparently 11 with channel width of 20 MHz works much better than 20/40

B - I ll try to find a way to move the router somewhere higher - how about if i moved it on top of the fireplace ( against the bricks ) ?

C - unfortunately i can't :(

----------

Thank you so much for the reply :)

Hi,
Suffix i stands for iso pole(unit vertical antenna in free space as reference). Gain is one thing but what kinda vertical and horizontal radiation pattern and angle does it have? What is typical SWR? If SWR is too high for example, erp will decrease and it can make the RF amp. chip run hotter, even burn out. From my year's experience living in a 2 story house with computers from basement to top floor loft, whole house coverage is best when router is located on the loft and worst when the router is located in the basement. I figure the vertical radiation angle is pretty low. Now we have one extra thing to play with, beam forming, I don't have test instrument covering GHz range. I do have some for HF/VHF range being a HAM since 1960(US Extra, Canadian advanced class with digital endorsement) If antenna supplier can't provide aforementioned parameters, consider it junk. IMO. not worth spending money on it. Antenna does not work well in real life even if designed perfect on a piece of paper. It needs lots of field testing from designed prototype.

Thanks for the explanation . looks like i bought crappy antennas

Last edited:
Hi,
Does the antenna come with data sheet? Just gain figure, that's it? What about radiation pattern/angle, Typical SWR figure, etc. I live in 2 story house, always whole house coverage from basement to top floor loft is best when router is located on the loft computer desk. Also keep in mind router antenna is omni directional, better locate it near center of the house, as high as you can. This is from my experience.

I knew the new antennas are crappy since i got them , because literally they didn't come with anything . Their website is always under construction http://www.superpowersupply.com/

radiation pattern + SWR Figures are unknown :confused:

i m using router antenna and it's located in the center of the house ,but as L&LD Mentioned i could move it somewhere else higher and away from the TV . how about if i moved it on top of the fireplace ( against the bricks ) ?

wow :D

they should sell some kinda of high performance antennas

You would think they would put either 5 or 7 dbi antennas on this router. But they are the same antennas as the N66U, N66W, AC66U and AC68U. And most likely these will be on the AC87U.

The lower the dBi, the more Omni directional they are.

They know what most users would prefer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!