What's new

What is the MAN interface in the Static Route settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Think of a MAN as being something smaller than a WAN, bigger than a WAN - college/corporate campus perhaps...

It's a Metropolitan Area Network. As SFX says it's something between a WAN and a LAN in terms of size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Indeed, "Metropolitan Area Network" is what the acronym stands for, but that doesn't really answer the OP's question.

In the context of the ASUS router; as far as I can tell the "MAN interface" is physically the same interface as the WAN, except it has been configured for PPTP or L2TP. Which could make sense because in such a circumstance you might be connecting to a large corporate or academic network (MAN) rather that the internet (WAN).

Indeed, "Metropolitan Area Network" is what the acronym stands for, but that doesn't really answer the OP's question.

In the context of the ASUS router; as far as I can tell the "MAN interface" is physically the same interface as the WAN, except it has been configured for PPTP or L2TP. Which could make sense because in such a circumstance you might be connecting to a large corporate or academic network (MAN) rather that the internet (WAN).

Thank you for your useful reply Colin! So do I use it to route traffic through PPTP/L2TP? I mean, I setup the VPN client, make sure it connects, and then route traffic that I want to go through the VPN to the MAN interface? I'm actually trying to let a small office connect to a server on a remote LAN, while keeping the rest of their traffic going through the default WAN interface to the Internet.

Sorry I don't know, it's not something I've ever used.

But if I had to guess :rolleyes:...

What do you have set at WAN > Internet Connection > WAN Connection Type ?

I think the routes only apply if you have set PPTP or L2TP as the WAN connection type. I don't think it applies if you are using the VPN client (VPN > VPN Client).

But this is all speculation on my part.

Sorry I don't know, it's not something I've ever used.

But if I had to guess :rolleyes:...

What do you have set at WAN > Internet Connection > WAN Connection Type ?

I think the routes only apply if you have set PPTP or L2TP as the WAN connection type. I don't think it applies if you are using the VPN client (VPN > VPN Client).

But this is all speculation on my part.

I'll give it a shot today/tomorrow. And will report back. The way it sounds to me it's just a less elegant way to set which subnet should be routed through WAN and which through the MAN (PPTP/L2TP), compared with the OpenVPN interface, where it's laid out so clearly. Will try.

I'll give it a shot today/tomorrow. And will report back. The way it sounds to me it's just a less elegant way to set which subnet should be routed through WAN and which through the MAN (PPTP/L2TP), compared with the OpenVPN interface, where it's laid out so clearly. Will try.

Could also be a dedicated VLAN sitting inside a larger network - for example - big college network with all their internal sites can be provisioned with a VLAN, where the primary provider is the WAN connection...

Seems like a useful feature - perhaps someone should reach out to Asus Support for clarification - it has to be intentional for a specific reason, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!