What's new

What lan_ifnames to use when creating new bridges?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
I am about to run a script for the first time to configure a new bridge and move the guest wifi/new vlan to it. I am not quite getting which interfaces I should set for lan_ifnames:

Code:
#nvram get lan_ifnames
vlan1 eth1 wifi0 wl0.1 wl0.2

# brctl show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
br0             8000.38d20              yes             vlan1
                                                        eth1
                                                        wl0.1
                                                        wl0.2

Per this article on DD-WRT:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Enabling_VLAN_Support_for_BCM4704#Configure_the_LAN_Bridge

It says that eth0 is the default lan bridge and when making these changes to change eth0 to eth1, just bump it up a number, as eth0 will no longer be usable after the changes. As you can see my brctl only shows "vlan1 eth1" vs nvram get lan_ifnames which shows 2 more brctl does not and ifconfig only shows eth0/eth1, the 2 wireless 0.1/0.2 will be on their own bridge so I just want to confirm in my script which line I should use:

nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan1 eth2 wifi0"

or

nvram set lan_ifnames="vlan1 eth1 wifi0"

The script found on another post showed "vlan1 eth1 eth2" so not sure what interfaces I should and should not have listed for lan_ifnames.