What's new

What's the best firmware for the RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mummel

Regular Contributor
I'm using this router only for routing LAN and internet traffic. My main focus would be file transfers from a PC to a NAS over Gigabit LAN, HD recording over LAN to my PC, and internet and file transfers/LAN traffic coming from a gigabit connected N66U being used as a wireless access point.

I've just come to realize there is a big issue with the latest N66U firmware. I just wanted to ask if I should use version 3.0.0.4.374.979 for the N56U if it's being only used as a router (not for wireless), or if I should also downgrade to something else (.239 or .130 etc).

Thanks all.

Anyone? I'm heading home soon and just want to know if I should reflash my N56U. Thanks guys.

I've just come to realize there is a big issue with the latest N66U firmware. I just wanted to ask if I should use version 3.0.0.4.374.979 for the N56U if it's being only used as a router (not for wireless), or if I should also downgrade to something else (.239 or .130 etc).

Thanks all.

The N56 and N66 use completely different hardware. The wifi components themselves are from different manufacturers, so any driver issue on the N66U does not apply in any way to the N56.

Hi, in RT-N56U are you able to select 2.4Ghz wifi channel?
can you see the drop down menu?

Mine not working.

The N56 and N66 use completely different hardware. The wifi components themselves are from different manufacturers, so any driver issue on the N66U does not apply in any way to the N56.

Well I checked the Asus website for both the N66U and N56U firmware, and this is what I found:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979 (2013.10.09)
ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979 (2013.10.11)

I assumed these versions were basically the same and if the N66U had a wireless problem with .979, that I didnt want to have the same issue with the 56U.

But if that's not the case, what would be the best firmware version to use for the N56U. Shall I use .979? Thanks.

What firmware are you using? Mine appears to be working fine on .979

I have tried 3.0.0.4.342, 3.0.0.4.374.130,
3.0.0.4.374.239 and 3.0.0.4.374.979,
none of it working.

Then I also tried Padavan's custom firmware,
the wifi channel working fine, but connection is unstable.

I thought it was asus bug, but now I think it's my hardware then.

If not mistaken, it's still under warranty (3 years)?
I should claim my warranty then...

Thanks for helping.

I would troubleshoot here first and exhaust all possibilities before simply issuing a replacement. I'm in the process of having mine replaced and Asus customer service is terrible (at least from my recent experience).

Well I checked the Asus website for both the N66U and N56U firmware, and this is what I found:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979 (2013.10.09)
ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979 (2013.10.11)

I assumed these versions were basically the same and if the N66U had a wireless problem with .979, that I didnt want to have the same issue with the 56U.

But if that's not the case, what would be the best firmware version to use for the N56U. Shall I use .979? Thanks.

They share the same base firmware code, but use totally different drivers. When the base firmware is compiled, the target router model is specified, which will tell the build process what driver to include in the firmware, enable certain portions of code specific to that target model, etc... So despite having the same version, the generated FW and the wireless code is quite different.

No idea which version is ideal for the N56, I don't have one.

I would troubleshoot here first and exhaust all possibilities before simply issuing a replacement. I'm in the process of having mine replaced and Asus customer service is terrible (at least from my recent experience).

I have done almost all of the possibility of troubleshooting,
which I posted on the same forum here: http://bit.ly/1cZTHRE
but still not working.

Totally agree with the terrible Asus customer service support,
the products quality are great though...

I'm also having several times of bad experience
when contacting the customer service,
the solutions given always not helping... :(

Now I hope that my old router still works,
or I can't send for checkup and replacement,
typically it took about 2-3 weeks or longer. :eek:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the topic, have you tried Padavan's custom firmware for RT-N56U?
it seems better than ASUSWRT buggy firmware. I tried it previously, it's faster
than the stock firmware, until recently it starts to become unstable,
most probably it's just my hardware issue.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!