What's new

When is asus fixing battery problems on android devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have it at 300/3 here in Tomato. works well with my phone

Most handsets are tested against the defaults, as this is a reliable/repeatable test condition that most AP's will use.

Application in the handset itself can cause power issues, on both Android and iOS - iOS has a bit of an advantage here as they do control when apps send data at the kernel level, whereas android is can be either...

The wireless link shouldn't be a problem - but applications within the Router/AP itself (network mapper is a good example) can send data to all devices to see if their still there, and this is outside of ARP and NDP

One thing on the wireless link that can really hurt standby time is probe request/response messages, as that will not allow clients to sleep. Whether it's addressed specific client (which we see in SU mostly) or to a group address (which can happen with a MU capable router/AP) - that along with VHT Beamformer requests...

Multicast applications - Airplay is a good example here - if using Airplay to send tunes over to a remote device from the desktop, it's mulitcast - this is where IGMP Snooping helps out huge, as it turns that traffic into unicast for that IGMP group, and since it's now unicast, if the application isn't there, there's no impact.

But DTIM and Beacon intervals have little benefit in a modern BSS - maybe back in the 11b/11g days when chipsets weren't quite so smart on the power conservation front, but all modern 11n/11ac chipsets are pretty good about this.

not sure why imgur isnt working.

You sourced the web-page ("http://imgur.com/I7GXgXF") rather than the image itself ("http://i.imgur.com/I7GXgXF.jpg").

I7GXgXF.jpg

Thanks @Nullity . Playing around with the values to find a good balance can help when you're having problem, so its only if the defaults dont work for you. Also note some of the settings i used, Theres no reason to set the multicast rate to auto or any lower than the best setting, this isnt wireless b.

i dont have apple products so i dont have to worry about beamforming, they work well for all my devices so far. I've read around that beamforming doesnt play well with apple. I guess every brand has issues with various things. Just set things to the best you can.

On 2.4Ghz i have tx power set to minimum.

About the only things I would change in those settings...

Modulation Scheme - up to MCS9, as this is the limit of 802.11ac standards, and this is for cross-vendor compatibility

Universal Beamforming - I would disable this, keeping 11ac beamforming as true...

There's another screen in some AsusWRT variants where IGMP Proxy has a true/false, and that one is something that one has to test - some clients are fine with it true, some aren't - but the IGMP Snooping is good as being true..

dont have apple products so i dont have to worry about beamforming, they work well for all my devices so far. I've read around that beamforming doesnt play well with apple. I guess every brand has issues with various things. Just set things to the best you can.

For universal - they typically ignore it, as they only do 11ac style beamforming if the client supports 11ac - if the AP does implicit beamforming, don't expect feedback for it from an apple client outside of 11ac (which is always explicit)

I don't have any multicast traffic here and there's no IGMP snooping option in Tomato either, and even if I had multicast, I can't enable the IGMP stuff anyways.

I don't have any multicast traffic here and there's no IGMP snooping option in Tomato either, and even if I had multicast, I can't enable the IGMP stuff anyways.

We have to discuss for the wider audience, some firmware has different options.

I configure for the best possible performance first and than disable or set things lower if there is a problem. Its a good procedure to follow to get the most out of an AP but is as tedious as bios overclocking.

Theres always multicast traffic on layer 2 that relate to the network. Have any of you not seen a packet destined for .255? Or a layer 2 packet with 00:00:00... address? Dont forget IPV6 as well. The other good thing about IGMP snooping is if you have 2 TV boxes/smart TVs watching the same thing at the same time. not saying that theres much multicast but there always will be some multicast traffic and you may not notice a difference.

I configure for the best possible performance first and than disable or set things lower if there is a problem. Its a good procedure to follow to get the most out of an AP but is as tedious as bios overclocking.

Theres always multicast traffic on layer 2 that relate to the network. Have any of you not seen a packet destined for .255? Or a layer 2 packet with 00:00:00... address? Dont forget IPV6 as well. The other good thing about IGMP snooping is if you have 2 TV boxes/smart TVs watching the same thing at the same time. not saying that theres much multicast but there always will be some multicast traffic and you may not notice a difference.

Yep, just consider that multicast traffic does depend a bit on the clients associated with the network - and upnp drives a lot of link maint traffic -

My direcTV stuff spews across both the LAN and the link-local broadcast groups, and it's a lot of overhead - one reason why I pushed them over to a vlan to cut that down... and there's no way to disable it in their platform (they need it actually for the remote stb's)

And it's stuff that one wouldn't consider - Dropbox for example, sends out a bunch of traffic for their client lan discovery if that's enabled in the client settings (which by default is enabled).