What's new

Which Medium size Nas to buy ? - and backup suggestions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StephenT3

New Around Here
I'm trying to decide on an 8 bay NAS.

I figured i would set it up as RAID 6 with 1 hot spare (I've had to many hard drives fail to go with raid 5) ...
that would give me 5 drives of storage: if I got 8 Western Digital Red 3 Terabyte drives = about 15TB of usable storage, I only need about 1/3 that at the moment, but I wanted room to grow.

Main uses of Nas:
  1. storage / playing of audio files (ripped cd collection , multiple formats)
  2. storage /playing of video files (mainly videos from zune marketplace, but also may in future start trying to rip some DVDs/HDDVDs/Blu-Rays I have.
  3. storage of data
    • digital camera photos, and scans of negatives from old pictures
    • backups of data (old game saves, all sorts of random data I have, installs etc.)
  4. Media server type functionality for my audio / video files (to either a ps3, my tv (TOSHIBA REGZA 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV 42XV540U) / reciever (Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver) / blu-ray player (OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player) not sure if they are DLNA or not... I know that before, my PS3 could see stuff on my very old nas box i had (and gave away it was one of the ReadyNas ones with 4 drive bays)
  5. possibly serve as a backup device for my 2 windows boxes (I may be building a linux box in future soon too)

I've looked at Qnap TS-879-PRO-US
(trying to figure out why so expensive compared to Qnap TS-869-PRO-US)

I was hoping to come up with a really solid system, which is why i have been looking at higher end mid sized systems.

Are the Qnap -Pro line a bit more than I need ?

I was originally hoping to get this thing build for around $2500. I could always start with less discs in the raid set, (still raid 6) and add later, but I figure the rebuild would take a long time.

Qnap ? Synology ? should I get a Terastation instead ?

And I know, even with raid 6 -- at some point i need to think of backing up the storage device, (in case of phyiscal failure / disaster etc) and 15TB seems very expensive on all the online services I've looked into. (Even 5TB would be alot)

So, suggestions on a device, for starters.. would be appreciated.