What's new

Which option would stream to Apple TV faster?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmarson

Occasional Visitor
Which HD streaming option would be faster?

1) HD Movie rented via Netflix/iTunes played wirelessly through Apple TV?
2) HD Movie rented via Netflix/iTunes played hardwired through Apple TV?
3) HD Movie stored on local NAS drive played wirelessly through Apple TV?

Assume Wireless N and 40+ Mbps download speeds.

I hope this is enough information to make the determination. I'm just looking for theoretical-based feedback. Thanks in advance!

- Bill

Which NAS?

In general I vote for hardwired over wireless any day of the week and twice on Tuesday!

What do you mean by "faster"?

If you're asking which method would be most likely to provide trouble-free playback it would be #2 for two reasons:

1) As claykin said, wired (Ethernet) will always provide a more reliable connection than wireless

2) A movie from Netflix / iTunes is probably encoded at a lower bit rate than a Torrented or ripped copy .

What do you mean by "faster"?

If you're asking which method would be most likely to provide trouble-free playback it would be #2 for two reasons:

1) As claykin said, wired (Ethernet) will always provide a more reliable connection than wireless

2) A movie from Netflix / iTunes is probably encoded at a lower bit rate than a Torrented or ripped copy .

Thanks! My ultimate question is whether or not I should move my AirPort Extreme router closer to my home theater (as well as move my Internet entry access point to my home) so I can hardwire my Apple TV and PS3. Or, leave is where it is -- kind of far away and on a different floor.

You don't need to move the router, just run a Cat5e or better cable between your router and the HT location.

If you choose to run the cable, run 2. You never know what may coming out next year....