What's new

Which router? Netgear WNDR4500 vs Asus RT-N66U vs Linksys EA4500 vs E4200V2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alfa147x

New Around Here
I know these specs don't really mean all too much when it comes to choosing a router. Out of these routers which would you choose?

uZuTm.png

The most important thing is for the router to handle 25 - 30 devices on the network via HP 1810-24G and a few via wireless (10 laptops, phones, etc).

Which one should I go with?

Leaning towards the Netgear WNDR4500

Good question. I have been researching the same routers to upgrade from my Netgear WNDR3700. My requirements are slightly different to yours. I mainly use it for 3 PCs/Mac connected via Ethernet and an assortment of iPads, iPhones, Macbooks, XBox and Media Players that are connected wirelessly as well as via powerline ethernet.

I ruled out the Asus because of price (it costs nearly 25% more than the other units here in Australia).

It was down to the EA4500 vs the WNDR4500 in the end. Now, this is where it got confusing.

I need fast ethernet as well as wireless. From SNB's review and charts, it would appear that the Netgear is much faster for wired connections and the Cisco is faster for wireless.

However, having read every other review out there on the 2 routers (and the E4200V2 where there was no review for the EA4500), it would seem that the majority of reviewers said that the WNDR4500 is faster wirelessly than the Cisco.

I am confused!!! Why did the Netgear do so poorly in SNB's wireless tests while other reviewers rave about it? If someone can confirm that the WNDR4500's wireless strength and throughput is in fact, as good as what the other reviews have claimed in real world usage, then that is the unit I am going to go for.

Please help.

Quick update: I just found the Asus RT-N66U at a competitive price and it is back in the running and is now my preferred choice.

Last edited:
Specs on that EA4500 is WNPU is 1.2GHz with some enhancements to improve on it. RAM is 128MB Better support of DLNA devices with HD 1080p will now show up in devices like SONY SMP-100N Network Media player with 1080p /24p. I know it does show up now where it didn't under E4200V1 which had 480MHz and 64MB of RAM.

EA4500 on my Android Tablets I test and created my own tweaks for WiFi 802.11g @ 20MHz and 802.11n @ 40MHz version of { MWSSUM} Max WiFi SSS Ultra Max ROM Update on Kyros 7010, 7012, 7015, 7015A, 7015B, 7020, 7022, 7120, 7125, 7126, 8125, 8126, 1125, 1126 and soon the 7042 and 9742 and Skypad Alpha2.

If you look at this link you can clearly see how the Atheros 6003 WPN for mobile devices (Tablet) 802.11a/b/g/n @ 20MHz / 40MHz under EA4500.

Speedtest WiFi for Android speed test results using EA4500 with MWSSUM
http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/16/87/26/77/screen26.png

XtremeTest WiFi for Android speed test results using EA4500 with MWSSUM
http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/16/87/26/77/screen28.png

On PC side downloads under BT
Shows me 3.5mbp/s steady as she goes.

Where as the E4200V1 was 2.5 to 2.8mbp/s

I noticed one error in that chart above. The Asus RT-N66U has two USB ports, not one.

I just got my RT-N66U today and all I can say is I am very impressed with it. I feel I actually got what I paid for with this product.

choice

First off why anyone would get the Linksys 4500 over the EA-4200v2 is beyond me. The 4200v2 has a much faster processor and double the RAM and FLASH RAM.

With that said, I have both the Asus RT-N66U and the Linksys EA-4200v2.
They are very close:

1 - 4200 read write speed is much faster than the Asus.

2 - Direct connect of my 2TB HD runs much faster on the EA-4200. no lockups

3 - Range is about the same. ssinsider shows the 4200 at 2.4gh - 450 mps and 5.0 ghz at 450 mps, the Asus shows 2.4 ghz at 212 mps and the 5.0 at 450 mps. Signal strength about equal on the 5.0 and 4200 slightly better on the 2.4

4 - Starcraft and Diablo 3 run flawlessly on the 4200, one in a while a slow down on the Asus out of nowhere.

I have 3 macs - 4 pc - 2 android phones - 2 wireless printers - WII - iphone - Panasonic Viera TV and 3D DVD player. All running simultaneously and running perfectly on the 4200. Only problem with the Asus was disconnects with the iphone......

Any questions fire away, as I said I own both products as we speak.

CC

Hi,
I am using ASUS RT-N66 in my home. When I tried Netgear WNDR4500
ASUS won against Netgear hands down on range and speed. I got rid of WNDR4500. ASUS runs very well on Tomato too.

Hi,
I am using ASUS RT-N66 in my home. When I tried Netgear WNDR4500
ASUS won against Netgear hands down on range and speed. I got rid of WNDR4500. ASUS runs very well on Tomato too.

I had exact opposite results. I have 2 x WNDR4500 and 2 x N66U I've been testing. In 3 different buildings compared, the WNDR4500 won both in overall range and throughput. Especially throughput at distance.

the WNDR4500 runs 1.0.1.6 firmware.

N66U has had a host of different firmware's including RMerlin's custom builds and Asus latest beta (.125).

I am also stuck between these. Ideally I'd like to experiment with other firmwares like Tomato, dd-wrt, open-wrt, etc. I guess this rules out all but the Asus can anyone confirm?

Misleading Post

This guide/post is all rubbish and has cost me both in money and time. Firstly let's get it straight. The EA4500 and E4200 V2 are are identicle in everyway except the model number and the firmware, the EA4500 has cloud connect which you have the choice to upgrade to with the E4200 V2.

I found this out in a strip down review then confirmed it now with CISCO, both processors run at 1.2Ghz, same flash, same memory...

After driving across the city & spending an hour on phone then finally leaving empty handed I can now go back tomorrow and get the EA4500.

I didn't want the ASUS N66U as it doesn't have the exceptional 20mbps HDD read/write speeds that these have. Nor does it support hfs+ file system support or the iOS & Android apps to easily monitor and change certain configurations remotely. Then performance, it has double the processing speed...

The one thing that the ASUS has over the CISCO's is the ability to create a VPN server and dd-wrt/tomato firmware support. However on a briefly owned ASUS N16U it permanently lost 90% of its performance on the dd-wrt with a WAN PPTP connection established. Flashing back to original firmware it didn't make it come right.

With the CISCO's you can of course still establish a WAN VPN connection which is shared over the rest of your network (useful for an AppleTV).

Also the N66U doesn't have a native SD reader built in and has 2 USB ports.

Considering the requirements of the OP - might consider the Airport Extreme...

He didn't specify if VPN, NAS, SD Card, USB Ports are a requirement...

What he did say is that he has many clients that access it, and there the AP Extreme performs well... and at a comparable pricepoint to the others.

This comes down to BSD vs. Linux perhaps, but the AP Extreme can easily handle 30-40 clients without breaking a sweat...

Another option would be the BSD based Cradlepoint devices, heard good things about them.

From a linux based device, don't rule out Buffalo, they're a bit obtuse, but solid...

Can't recommend Netgear or Linksys these days... most of their stuff is ODM, and it's just cheap crap that you pay much for the name only...

I am also stuck between these. Ideally I'd like to experiment with other firmwares like Tomato, dd-wrt, open-wrt, etc. I guess this rules out all but the Asus can anyone confirm?

Well, I've read that the ASUS can have tomato, however I've also read a lot of reviewers saying they don't see the need for it because of how good and stable the firmware is (at least the latest version .112).

Anyone have any reports on how these routers handle Apple devices with iOS6 ?

had a small Netgear wireless router home wich disconnects to my iPhone almost instantly after the iPhone connects to it.

Can't recommend Netgear or Linksys these days... most of their stuff is ODM, and it's just cheap crap that you pay much for the name only...

It seems easy to blame Cisco/Linksys cause of their high rate of devices being either DOA or unstable when you get them.

They definetly do have a Quality issue especially the Linksys brand for home usage, but remember Linksys Is by far the biggest player on the market for home networking. In Denmark the ratio is like 10x as many Linksys sold compared to all the rest of the brands, so off course you will get faulty devices at a higher rate, just because Linksys sells so many more devices than any other brand

About Netgear ... well Netgear was always crappy compared to anything else

you missed the Airport Extreme - price competitive with your other choices.

You don't need a Mac or iDevice to appreciate stability.

Anyone have any reports on how these routers handle Apple devices with iOS6 ?

had a small Netgear wireless router home wich disconnects to my iPhone almost instantly after the iPhone connects to it.

I use 2 iPhones, 3 iPod touches, and 2 iPads with my RT-N66U and they work great! No disconnections.

I hope you EA-4500 fans have learned by now the Asus RT-N66U is a much better router hands down !!!!:D

Hi,
Honestly I used them all one time or another. My pick is ASUS.