What's new

Which Wifi Channel to choose? Channel 7?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshing

Occasional Visitor
New Asus 1900 Wifi router can't reach this room so I downloaded Wifi analyzer but it confuses me. It keeps going back and forth on the recommended channel:

In this screenshoot, it shows channel 1:
upload_2016-8-14_23-47-45.png

But, then in another screenshot, it shows channel 7:

upload_2016-8-14_23-49-51.png

And, in this screenshot, it shows channel 11:

upload_2016-8-14_23-53-11.png

Here's what it looks like as networks picture:

upload_2016-8-15_0-14-30.png

I notice the bottom two networks for channel 1 and channel 11 will go in and out of range.

I'm using an extender right now to extend wifi, and I'm assuming that's why its showing two ASUS 1924 signals from my router.

I thought we should only choose either channel 1,6, or 11. So, why is it recommending channel 7?

It seems like there's 4 different wifi on channel 1 so I'd want to stay away from that.

Do I choose Channel 6 because it only has 1 wifi even though its also the strongest signal.

Or, do I choose channel 11? I see two wif on channel 11, with one of those wifi signals going in and out of range. But, there's also another wifi on channel 10 so that means there's really about 3 wifi signals around channel 11.

I don't know if it matters but I also ran a speedtest, and I get ping of 13, download of 3.22, and upload of 2.99.

It looks like I posted the same screenshoot for channel 1 twice.

Here's screenshot where it recommends channel 11:

upload_2016-8-15_0-41-16.png

Also, why doesn't Wifi analyzer show anything for 5GHz? I don't know if my computer can connect to it because my desktop Dell inspiron with Intel Pentium radio type supports 802.11b/g/n which may or may not support 5Ghz. But, shouldn't Wifi analyzer show 5GHz from neighbors too?

Pay no attention to these channel recommendations. They do not take into account the amount of activity on the channel. That is more important than signal strength.

In general, you want to be on 1, 6 or 11 and, this is the tough part, choosing the channel with the least activity. Less activity means more airtime available.

Since you can't measure activity, the next best thing is to choose a channel, with the fewest number of other networks. This isn't a guarantee you won't get interference (one user could like to stream video all day long), but it's about the only thing you can do.

You don't want to be on a channel that sits between 1,6 or 11 because the other networks then look like noise and your network can't properly coordinate its transmissions.

You need an adapter that supports 11a or ac to receive 5 GHz.

So, would the best choice be channel 6 then?

Channel 6 only has one other network on that channel while channel 11 has two or three other networking.

So, would the best choice be channel 6 then?

Channel 6 only has one other network on that channel while channel 11 has two or three other networking.
Start on 6 and see how it goes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!