What's new

Who's responsibility is the NID installation ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lola

Regular Contributor
This is a follow up on my installing cable in my house questions.

I need the junction box/connector used where the outside wire (phone company) connects to the inside wire (my Cat 6 and phone line). There must be better ones available then what my house came with (don't know the name of this item). This thing might be called a NIC, not sure! I also don't know how important it is, but to me everything is important.
Is it important enough? Are there good ones and bad ones?

This is a follow up on my installing cable in my house questions.

I need the junction box/connector used where the outside wire (phone company) connects to the inside wire (my Cat 6 and phone line). There must be better ones available then what my house came with (don't know the name of this item). This thing might be called a NIC, not sure! I also don't know how important it is, but to me everything is important.
Is it important enough? Are there good ones and bad ones?

Afaik, that will be supplied by your ISP (I don't think you can touch that connection, it's not 'yours').

Afaik, that will be supplied by your ISP (I don't think you can touch that connection, it's not 'yours').
WOW, I sure hope you're wrong, I'll be connected (from Verizon) to someone in India who has his first english speaking lesson next week and no matter what the question is they will want to know if the lights blink and are they green! This will take 4 or 5 connections to others who speak english worse then the last, after 1 to 3 hours of this you will get disconnected and no one will answer the phone!! Not kidding at all !!

I went through exactly what I said above over getting their rental phone ($11.00 per month) fixed! That phone D-Link 2750B can be purchased at Amazon for $10.00!!

Last edited:
It's normally called a NID (Network Interface Device), and it's on the regulated (carrier/operator) side of the connection - it's a do not touch kind of box - in many cases you'll have an ethernet run from the NID to a box inside the house, sometimes called a RG (Residential Gateway). The ethernet run is sometimes referred to as the "home run", but it's something the carrier maintains, not the customer.

It's normally called a NID (Network Interface Device), and it's on the regulated (carrier/operator) side of the connection - it's a do not touch kind of box - in many cases you'll have an ethernet run from the NID to a box inside the house, sometimes called a RG (Residential Gateway). The ethernet run is sometimes referred to as the "home run", but it's something the carrier maintains, not the customer.
Hi sfx2000. That's it, the second I read "NID" it all came back to me!
However, all I have is a little rusty plate about 6"x 3" with regular phone wire coming through the electrical box hole through the wall to this plate and connected to a post on the plate and "My phone wire connected to another post on the plate, that's it.
So, If I run Cat 6 down to that area Verizon will have to connect Cat 6 wire to mine and run it back through the wall like L&LD said, is this correct?

In my experience the installer is responsible for running a line to the modem or Gateway. While they are at your house you can politely ask if they will terminate a couple other plugs. Most likely they will say no, but you lose nothing by asking.

In my experience the installer is responsible for running a line to the modem or Gateway. While they are at your house you can politely ask if they will terminate a couple other plugs. Most likely they will say no, but you lose nothing by asking.

KenZ71, I'm the installer, so I seriously doubt I'll say NO.

Who's responsibility is the NID or interface box that connects the homeowner's DSL Ethernet cable from the inside wall to the outside? This would include the purchase of the interface box, it's installation and connections?
All I have is a little rusty plate about 6"x 3" with regular phone wire coming through the electrical box hole, through the wall, to this plate and connected to a post on the plate and "My phone wire connected to another post on the plate, that's it.
You cant just connect Cat 6 cable to a wire, there has to be a "quality box" for the connection and any other hardware that is befitting this situation.
So, If I run Cat 6 down to that area Verizon (My phone/ISP company) will have to install a interface box or me, so a connection can be made, but who is responsible for the box?

NID is usually the carrier/operator side...

From what it sounds like, reading thru, is you might also have the old-school telecom (POTS) connection - a NID is pretty obvious, as it's a box with two doors - one you can open, the other takes a special screwdriver bit (the carrier side). NID's are usually outdoors, right where the telco drop hits the house..

Photo's would help...

A NID will look similar to this - and you might find CAT5 and/or Coax going into the house... it'll be pretty obvious. You can see the double doors, their side (regulated) and my side (unregulated).

(FWIW - this is a Cox Communications triple play NID, adjacent to the old POTS door which is just a plain cross connector - some of the older DSL connections use the cross connector and add the second line pair out to an RJ45 to a modem inside the house)

IMG_1067.JPG

The only thing connected to the OUTSIDE of my house is an electric meter, that's it, nothing else., the only thing on the inside of my house is the electric box and a small plate that is the kind of NID/BOX/CONNECTION they used over 30 years ago I guess.
Now can someone please answer the question?

I don't want to go through talking to people in India again for another 3 hours telling each one YES, the lights are green and blink!

It doesn't matter where it is located (inside or outside the house).

You either have ownership and control over it or you don't. I think you do not.

You'll have to speak with someone that has more authority in your jurisdiction than someone on the 'net (like me). I've tried to help, as have others. But I don't think this will be solved online.

Sounds like it's old school then - where you get the two pairs coming in, and a block they punch into, and the other side, where your lines attach to for the RJ11 jacks inside the house..

Sounds like a new install so a call to the service provider, or online order, is needed.

At that time either you will be presented with a self install option where a modem will be ordered and shipped or an appointment will be setup to install and configure a modem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!