What's new

Why are node speeds slower?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CBR1000RR

Occasional Visitor
So wondering if someone can explain this to me. Dug around on the site a bit but didn't see anything. If there's already a post about this, please point me to it.

Basically, I'm wondering how the mesh thing works as far as speeds on the node.

So I have a RT-AX88U as my main router and a RT-AC86U as a node. Wired connections get between 500-600 Mbps (we have 500 Mbps internet). When connected wirelessly directly to the AX88U, I get around 250-300 Mpbs. I'm assuming this isn't 500 due to limitations of the wireless devices connected.

Then, when connecting to the AC86 node, those speeds drop to around 150 Mpbs.

Just wondering if someone can explain why that happens? Is it because half the bandwidth is used for the dedicated backhaul between the router and node?

I also purchased a 2nd RT-AX88U to use as a node but speeds were actually worse than the RT-AC86U. Any ideas why that would be? I wasn't really sure if node speeds would improve or not but figured I'd try it. I have a month to return it if necessary.

If I purchased a RT-AX92U to use as a node, would that improve node speeds? Would the 2nd 5 Ghz connection be used as the dedicated backhaul and free up the other 5 Ghz connection for clients?

Would I also need to have a tri-band router as the main router also in order for the node to connect using the 2nd 5 Ghz as the backhaul?

Not sure if it matters, but I have about 6 devices wired into the AX88 and about 25 wireless devices all over the house (iPads, iPhones, PCs, smart devices, etc.).

Also, directly wiring the routers together would be VERY difficult. Would have to run a cable from my office up to the attic, then down a wall 2 floors then back across a wall into another room. :(

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Last edited:
So wondering if someone can explain this to me. Dug around on the site a bit but didn't see anything. If there's already a post about this, please point me to it.

Basically, I'm wondering how the mesh thing works as far as speeds on the node.

So I have a RT-AX88U as my main router and a RT-AC86U as a node. Wired connections get between 500-600 Mbps (we have 500 Mbps internet). When connected wirelessly directly to the AX88U, I get around 250-300 Mpbs. I'm assuming this isn't 500 due to limitations of the wireless devices connected.

Then, when connecting to the AC86 node, those speeds drop to around 150 Mpbs.

Just wondering if someone can explain why that happens? Is it because half the bandwidth is used for the dedicated backhaul between the router and node?

I also purchased a 2nd RT-AX88U to use as a node but speeds were actually worse than the RT-AC86U. Any ideas why that would be? I wasn't really sure if node speeds would improve or not but figured I'd try it. I have a month to return it if necessary.

If I purchased a RT-AX92U to use as a node, would that improve node speeds? Would the 2nd 5 Ghz connection be used as the dedicated backhaul and free up the other 5 Ghz connection for clients?

Would I also need to have a tri-band router as the main router also in order for the node to connect using the 2nd 5 Ghz as the backhaul?

Not sure if it matters, but I have about 6 devices wired into the AX88 and about 25 wireless devices all over the house (iPads, iPhones, PCs, smart devices, etc.).

Also, directly wiring the routers together would be VERY difficult. Would have to run a cable from my office up to the attic, then down a wall 2 floors then back across a wall into another room. :(

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Can't remember exactly where in his reviews, but Dong Knows has also tested this and confirmed that AIMesh slows down after adding a wireless node or two. I have 3 nodes (AX88u, AC86u, Blue Cave), plus an AX88u router, connected via wired backhaul and don't have a perceptible slow down.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!