What's new

Why can't I see server in one Account but can in another

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuck Schumm

New Around Here
Hi all...

I am new to this forum - got a question that takes an explanation to ask.

I am not new to networking and have been doing it for years (but no formal education). I ran into something today I could not fix.

I am upgrading all our computers in a small office to Win 10 from Win 7. All went OK and we could map a network drive to our server OK on all Computers and in all Accounts but one.

However on one of the computers in one account we could map to a share on the server OK. In Windows Explorer we enter \\Stationx\ in the address bar and the shared folders pop up. We select the folder we want to map to and it works.

But in a different account on the same computer, following the same process, we put in \\Stationx\ and nothing comes up. We cannot see the Server Stationx and thus cannot Map to a folder we need to.

I believe both accounts are Windows Local Accounts and Standard Accounts.

Any suggestions and/or ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Chuck

Hi all...

I am new to this forum - got a question that takes an explanation to ask.

I am not new to networking and have been doing it for years (but no formal education). I ran into something today I could not fix.

I am upgrading all our computers in a small office to Win 10 from Win 7. All went OK and we could map a network drive to our server OK on all Computers and in all Accounts but one.

However on one of the computers in one account we could map to a share on the server OK. In Windows Explorer we enter \\Stationx\ in the address bar and the shared folders pop up. We select the folder we want to map to and it works.

But in a different account on the same computer, following the same process, we put in \\Stationx\ and nothing comes up. We cannot see the Server Stationx and thus cannot Map to a folder we need to.

I believe both accounts are Windows Local Accounts and Standard Accounts.

Any suggestions and/or ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Chuck

Has anyone got any input on this please.

I believe the account should not make any difference. You should see the server regardless. However you may or may not be able to open a folder on the file server based on the permissions that have been setup.

Thanks
Chuck

Check that the connection is Private and not Public.

Thanks

Will do...

It will be next week before I can get into the office to check this.

Will post back when I find out.

Chuck

And make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled in the advanced settings under the Network and Sharing Center. (You may also want to check Network Discovery is enabled).

Check the credential manager as well in the misbehaving accounts.
Quite a few times have i had to clear them out as well as run from an elevated command prompt;
net use /delete *
to clear out all mapped drives

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!