What's new

WiFi 6 or 6e router for macOS and iOS devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

idesign

Occasional Visitor
I need to purchase a new router that will be used almost exclusively with MacOS and iOS/iPadOS devices. I understand this is a bad time to invest in a WiFi 6, 6e, router with the advent of WiFi 7 and I currently own two WiFi 6e devices. I would welcome any recommendations from the community.

A few details:
  • Home internet speed: Paying for Gigabit in reality it’s 311.99 Mbps Download, 650.52 Mbps Upload, 3ms Ping
  • Uses: Heavy Qobuz lossless streaming and I am a professional e-Sports cyclist on Zwift so I need a stable router (some of the Zwift devices cannot be hard wired). This use case is similar to gaming.
  • Computer and device OS used: MacOS Sonoma and iOS/iPadOS 17 (iPad Pro 2022, iPhone 15 Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro 2019 and 2022, and three devices on network)
  • Budget: None. I eventually want the best of the best home router but given the 6, 6e, 7 router market, I would be open to an affordable stop gap solution like the Velop Pro 6e, AmpliFi Alien, or Asus AX88U Pro,
  • Other considerations: The router will be in a small, open space (550 sq ft) so range does not matter.

Last edited:
Apple shouldn't make a difference in the brand of router or in this case my recommendation of an AP.

6E is pointless unless you're in a sense wifi situation. Even then of you specify the channels instead of auto config you can mitigate interference easily.

I use Zyxel but I'd you're not in the us the omada might be an option.
Gigabit in reality it’s 311.99 Mbps Download, 650.52 Mbps Upload, 3ms Ping
Sounds like fiber and an old modem or something botched on the line. Depends on the ISP plan but those numbers should be symmetrical.

Anyway I'm using a nwa210ax and you can get them for $150 on Amazon. I have a custom setup and get 1.4gbps on the lan using an ax411 card but since you're apple it won't hit those speeds do to the hardware inside of them. You'll get closer to gig though once the line issue is resolved.

Thank you for your input. MonkeyBrains may be having issues and I was disappointed to see the speeds after hardwiring and doing a speed test. As far as Apple devices, I personally feel it makes a difference— I previously had the Netgear RAX120 and it was complete disaster with macOS. At the time, their technical support was so embarrassed they requested I return the device because it was a known issue they could not resolve for several weeks. I want to avoid that path.

I run a Cisco 150ax wireless AP with several Apple devices MACBOOK air and several iPhones, iPads. I have no complaints from my wife as she is the Apple user as I just have an iPhone. It all seems to work well. Being a small space, you only need one 150ax AP. They cost $102.
You will need a router. I run pfsense on an old Dell PC.

Hmm... Netgear is like every other consumer level device and should have worked. Though over the years I've tried several brands and they're all pretty comparable. Though they have niche issues depending on what you want them to do. I got fed up with consumer devices and built my own for this reason. If you don't have the patience for that then disabling your current wifi and hooking up an AP is easier to deal with.

Basically if I were buying off the shelf I would be looking for a basic wired router and an AP. Being modular makes upgrade cheaper. Instead of buying the new BE setups for $1000 or more waiting for a BE AP and paying significantly less makes it more palatable to the wallet. AP releases take a bit longer to some to market than these silly mesh devices or full fledged combo units.

Since you've had issues in the past Amazon is good for try/buy and if it doesn't work send it back and try again until you find something that does work.

Asus AX88U Pro

From Asus model line RT-AX88U Pro or even cheaper RT-AX86U Pro will do what you need.

I am a professional e-Sports cyclist on Zwift

I had to Google what this means. I'm outdoors motor sports non-professional mostly on Asphalt. :)

Thank you you, Tech9. I’m no stranger to professional motorsports and worked for a team that campaigned cars in IMSA, ALMS, and the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series. In fact, I rode with Tony Kanan on Zwift a few days ago— so you know I need a fast router!

The Asus RT-AX88U Pro seems like a perfectly fine option and I don’t mind spending more for incremental gains if there’s a better model to pick?

I don’t mind spending more for incremental gains

Everything more expensive is Gaming marketed or with more radios 3/4-band, all the same core hardware with the same features firmware. In your 550 sq ft place with limited number of devices it won't make any noticeable difference.

Synology is fairly common over on the Mac side - esp since Apple discontinued their Airport Express/Extreme routers...

Rt6600ax is WiFi6 (not 6e), so that's one thing - but at the same time, they're easy to set up, and very stable...

The Asus RT-AX88U Pro seems like a perfectly fine option and I don’t mind spending more for incremental gains if there’s a better model to pick?

Folks will likely take exception to what I'm about to say...

If you are Apple centric, you can do much better than Asus - Netgear, Synology are great choices here - they tend to just work without a lot of fiddling about with different settings...

With Asus, there have been more than enough issues with Airplay, Airprint, Homekit, etc - mostly because of a broken Avahi stack inside AsusWRT.

With Asus, there have been more than enough issues with Airplay, Airprint, Homekit, etc - mostly because of a broken Avahi stack inside AsusWRT.
I use most of that using Apple devices and Microsoft. I don't see any difference between the 2.
I run pfsense and Cisco small business switches and wireless. Airprint and Homekit work fine.

I run pfsense and Cisco small business switches and wireless

If you review OP's situation, pfSense is likely out of scope for their needs.

That being said - pfSense is fine for Mac/iDevices - ran it for years with no issues noted.

Thank you, I purchased the Synology RT6600ax and it is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. Synology stood out to me because I had planned to purchase their DS723+ NAS. I really appreciate the advice from sfx2000 and Tech9.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!