What's new

WiFi between 2 Houses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steinj14

Occasional Visitor
I have a mobile home that is about 160 ft from the back of my house (measured from the room my Linksys E1200 router is in). In between the two is a tree line (about 35 ft wide). I am trying to figure out the best way to extend my wifi signal from the house to the mobile home. The mobile home has power but obviously no Internet connection. I prefer not to run an ethernet cable from the house to the mobile home.

I'm guessing I would need an outdoor wifi range extender/repeater? And that the extender would require a power outlet but not need to be hardwired to the router? Where would I put the extender - at the house, mobile home, or in between somehow? Anyone have ideas on the easiest way to do this, and/or recommendations on what to purchase? I prefer to keep costs under $150 if possible...

Thanks,
Joan

Thanks so much for the replies. Not to be dense, but do I set them both up to be access points? It looks like I need to run ethernet cable to them, or am I wrong? I don't have clear line of sight between the two houses, so where do I place these? Besides my existing router, is there anything else I need on either end?

Sorry for the basic questions, networking is not my forte, but I'm trying to get up-to-speed...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!