What's new

Wifi timing out, Wired fine?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi,

Basically to cut a long story short my wired internet is fine but both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi continually timeout on websites and apps like twitch for example.

Router = Dlink Dir-880L

Devices that timeout
iPad 2 2.4ghz
iPad 3 5Ghz
iPad Mini 5Ghz
iPhone 5s 2.4ghz
iPhone 4s 2.4ghz
Thinkpad Laptop 2.4Ghz

I cannot get any internet page to timeout on the PC But apps like Netflix on the Xbox one can take more than one attempt to get working without an error message.

I have changed DNS servers in the iPads, reset network settings, restore iPads, go back to an earlier firmware on the router, change the DNS at router level. I have changed wireless channels on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, all with the same problems persisting.

To get this new thread page up took me 3 refreshes, are wifi devices more susceptible to page timeouts? Is this an Internet issue that looks like a wifi issue as it was working much better up to recently when this started.

I would say wifi/router issue. If wired is fine, either you have massive wifi interference, are using your devices really far from the router, or the router has issues. Have you tried rebooting the router?

Hello,

I am seeing something similar on my RT-AC87U. I will be browsing websites, click a link and chrome will just say "connecting" and then eventually it will go through or if I refresh it will go through.

Its very random and difficult to replicate, happens across a range of devices.

Thanks
Sam

There is a big thread of my ISP forums with people saying that it some sort of routing issue that is causing the problem. I ruled out wifi as the cause, as my Plex streming of high quality video locally on wifi was fine even though the web was terrible.

For some reason my IOS devices are quicker to timeout on websites than my wired devices but the do still have routing issues.

When using VPN my internet is completely fine and has zero issues, this was a suggestion on my ISPs forums to try until its fixed and it does indeed work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!