What's new

Will I be able to do 10GB Wan in and 10GB Lan out with either the AX89X or the GT-AXE16000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guys, @talisman2208 clearly wants an Asus home router. x86 hardware and L3 switches are out.

Short answer: YES.
You can choose your WAN port - 1 G E, 10 G E or SFP+.
It sounds like what you want is ATT 5G E --> Asus 10G E ---> Asus SFP+ ---> 10 E LAN Switch. It will work.

I have played around with with a similar config on my AX89 (Fios 1 G E --> Asus 10G E ---> Asus SFP+ ---> 10 E LAN Switch.)
BUT I only have a 1 Gig Fios connection so I don't know how close to 5 Gb true speed you will see from the 10G to the SFP+
On FIos with AI protection on, using the 1G or 10G E WAN port on the Asus , I took about a 5% hit to speed, getting about 920-950 Mbs up and down when Fios is at its best.

And to folks who ask "why do you need a 10 G home network?" I edit HD photos and 2k/4K video at home for fun and as a side gig. The files are massive and having 10G makes it much easier to move them on/off the NAS. Also, using fiber between floors for a home backbone just works.

I WISH i had 5 G internet. It would make it much easier to share files and work on multi user editting projects.

Another possibility is to separate your WiFI from your firewall & VPN. You would use something like a MikroTik CRS 305 behind your ATT Modem to handle Firewall and VPN, then pick any WiFi box you want in Access Point mode. MikroTik supports VPN like Wireguard, Zerotier, L2TP, OpenVPN and others.
It would look like:
ATT 5G Modem --> MT 305 SFP+ --> 10 G LAN switch
MT 305 SFP+ ---> WiFI Access Point

The MT 305 is a great product - managed switch/router with (4) 10G SFP+ ports. Very stable.
The downside is that you have to configure the firewall yourself on the MikroTiks. It is not harder (or easier) than any other rules based firewall any there are tutorials and easy to follow guides.

If you go this route, you can use any of the less expensive Asus WiFi routers that run Merlin.

Last edited:
I know someone with an RT-AX89X is getting a bit over 8 Gbps out of his 10 Gbps service with that router. I don`t know anyone with that kind of service and a GT-AXE16000, so I can`t compare.

I know someone with an RT-AX89X is getting a bit over 8 Gbps out of his 10 Gbps service with that router. I don`t know anyone with that kind of service and a GT-AXE16000, so I can`t compare.

I'm assuming no extra features enabled? Flow cache and NAT acceleration/CTF can do amazing things even on low end hardware, but you have to do everything possible to keep things from getting "punted" to the CPU (old term from the days Cisco had an accelerator card and you had to walk on eggshells to keep stuff from leaving it).

Of course I'm assuming if they tested with IMIX it would be far lower throughput. But I guess most home users are looking for high speeds for file transfers and not running web/email servers with lots of varying traffic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!