What's new

WINS and master browser

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Koenig

Occasional Visitor
In tomato you can configure the router as a WINS-server and a master browser, is this possible with RMerlins firmware?

Last edited:
You would have to modify smb.conf, then signal smbd to reload its config. That would probably get overwritten whenever the router writes to it tho.

Should be easier to do with the next version.

You would have to modify smb.conf, then signal smbd to reload its config. That would probably get overwritten whenever the router writes to it tho.

Should be easier to do with the next version.

That would be wonderful if it were possible!

It is the sole reason I run tomato today.

When I OpenVPN into the router with a Win7 client, it is not able to refer to local LAN resources using names, only addresses (e.g. I can't do "ping bctp", I have to do "ping 192.168.1.129"). Is there any way to make this work? Would a WINS server do the trick? Can a WINS server be run on the router? Sorry again for the n00bish questions ...
--
bc

When I OpenVPN into the router with a Win7 client, it is not able to refer to local LAN resources using names, only addresses (e.g. I can't do "ping bctp", I have to do "ping 192.168.1.129"). Is there any way to make this work? Would a WINS server do the trick? Can a WINS server be run on the router? Sorry again for the n00bish questions ...
--
bc

Yes a WINS-server would do the trick.

And Yes it can be run on the router, Tomato-firmware has implemented it.

I tried adding "wins support = yes" to the smb.conf.add file in jffs and it got copied into the /tmp/etc/smb.conf ok, but when I OpenVPN'd into the router from a Win7 client logged into the guest wifi network and tried "ping bctp" from a command prompt, it could not resolve the name. What am I missing? I did add the router's address to the WINS SERVER setting on the DHCP page. What else might I have to do?
--
bc

I tried adding "wins support = yes" to the smb.conf.add file in jffs and it got copied into the /tmp/etc/smb.conf ok, but when I OpenVPN'd into the router from a Win7 client logged into the guest wifi network and tried "ping bctp" from a command prompt, it could not resolve the name. What am I missing? I did add the router's address to the WINS SERVER setting on the DHCP page. What else might I have to do?
--
bc

Your setup has an additional variable in the equation: you are using a VPN. First, make sure you configured the VPN server to also push the WINS server to your client. Then check that your client did properly configure that pushed WINS server.

Also, you need to have the VPN IP to be in the same network block as your LAN, otherwise you will be unable to route from the VPN client (192.168.10.xxx) to the router (both LAN and WINS server, at 192.168.1.1).

Also, you need to have the VPN IP to be in the same network block as your LAN, otherwise you will be unable to route from the VPN client (192.168.10.xxx) to the router (both LAN and WINS server, at 192.168.1.1).

Not really sure what that means, but I would say that it is not true...

My LAN is on 192.168.8.xxx and all of my VPN-clients get IP in the range of 192.168.6.xxx (different blocks...?) and I can without problem acess my server via computer name, "\\Server" and so on.

Netbios over TCP must be enabled, and the VPN-server must push the appropriate route to the clients.

Not really sure what that means, but I would say that it is not true...

My LAN is on 192.168.8.xxx and all of my VPN-clients get IP in the range of 192.168.6.xxx (different blocks...?) and I can without problem acess my server via computer name, "\\Server" and so on.

I was assuming a PPTP VPN connection here. With OpenVPN then the route gets pushed to the client, so you don't run into routing issues.

Could you elaborate on your setup? Are you running a Samba server on the router? Is it also the master browser? Or is none of that needed? NETBIOS over TCP/IP has to be enabled where, exactly? etc.
--
bc

Could you elaborate on your setup? Are you running a Samba server on the router? Is it also the master browser? Or is none of that needed? NETBIOS over TCP/IP has to be enabled where, exactly? etc.
--
bc

Actually I'm running tomato on my N66U and only as an accesspoint (+WINS and Master browser).

Before I bought this router I had a machine with pfsense, and after having tried different firmwares on the router I started my pfsense-machine again.

To many bugs/missing features at that moment in my opinion.

But the firmwares are getting better and better.

Did you setup your WINS server as a local master browser or a domain master browser? Its not entirely clear to me which I need. I just have a simple workgroup, not a domain, so I figured a local one would be correct, but then I saw logfile entries that complained about not finding a domain master browser, so I'm not sure what to do.
--
bc

Did you setup your WINS server as a local master browser or a domain master browser? Its not entirely clear to me which I need. I just have a simple workgroup, not a domain, so I figured a local one would be correct, but then I saw logfile entries that complained about not finding a domain master browser, so I'm not sure what to do.
--
bc

Last edited:
RMerlin would it be possible for you to include this feature in your .260 build? (if there's going to be one)

Pretty please!

RMerlin would it be possible for you to include this feature in your .260 build? (if there's going to be one)

Pretty please!

Not in time for the next release, but I can look into it after that.

One workaround for now would be to use a custom smb.conf file. If you don't change your shares too often, you could simply make a copy of your working config, and change it to turn the router into a master browser, and put it in /etc/configs/smb.conf. On next reboot the router will use your modified smb.conf instead of creating one.

Not in time for the next release, but I can look into it after that.

One workaround for now would be to use a custom smb.conf file. If you don't change your shares too often, you could simply make a copy of your working config, and change it to turn the router into a master browser, and put it in /etc/configs/smb.conf. On next reboot the router will use your modified smb.conf instead of creating one.

I suppose the WINS is more Imortant than Master Browser, at least to me (When you only have a workgroup it quickens the network browsing + the VPN-clients can connect by name instead of just IP-number)

Anyhow, I thank you alot!!

I suppose the WINS is more Imortant than Master Browser, at least to me (When you only have a workgroup it quickens the network browsing + the VPN-clients can connect by name instead of just IP-number)

Anyhow, I thank you alot!!

I created a hosts.add file and put in a few IP's with their names.
Next under LAN->DHCP Server->RT-N66U's Domain Name, I typed spongebob
The DNS and WINS box is empty.

Name resolving on my LAN works great this way.
I can type e.g. \\nas.spongebob\sharename

Is this WINS stuff a better way to do name resolving?
(Also a small workgroup here with a few clients.)

I'd love to have that WINS and Masterbrowser Options on RMerlin's firmware.

I could activate a WINS Server on my NAS but this prevents it'S HDDs from spinning down...

I created a hosts.add file and put in a few IP's with their names.
Next under LAN->DHCP Server->RT-N66U's Domain Name, I typed spongebob
The DNS and WINS box is empty.

Name resolving on my LAN works great this way.
I can type e.g. \\nas.spongebob\sharename

Is this WINS stuff a better way to do name resolving?
(Also a small workgroup here with a few clients.)

It is not just about the name-resolving.
A WINS server speeds up the network browsing a whole lot in workgroups.

It is not just about the name-resolving.
A WINS server speeds up the network browsing a whole lot in workgroups.

Thx, didn't know that.
Sounds like something usefull for a lot of people with a small home network.

I do see a regular WINS kinda message on the routers log I don't understand.

Nov 10 12:43:51 nmbd[3598]: [2012/11/10 12:43:51, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_nmb_request(1497)
Nov 10 12:43:51 nmbd[3598]: process_nmb_request: Multihomed registration request must be directed at a WINS server.
Nov 10 12:43:52 nmbd[3598]: [2012/11/10 12:43:52, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_nmb_request(1497)
Nov 10 12:43:52 nmbd[3598]: process_nmb_request: Multihomed registration request must be directed at a WINS server.
Nov 10 12:43:54 nmbd[3598]: [2012/11/10 12:43:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_nmb_request(1497)
Nov 10 12:43:54 nmbd[3598]: process_nmb_request: Multihomed registration request must be directed at a WINS server.
:confused:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!