What's new

Wireguard with vpn director rules disable hardware acceleration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

littlepopkaka

Occasional Visitor
I use Wireguard to connect the lan of two houses. My bandwidth is 500m. Recently, I found that when I download steam games , all device networks will become too laggy. I can't play games. After checking the causes, i found that wireguard with VPN Director is problem. If it is turned off the VPN Director rules or the bandwidth is reduced to around 300m, it will be normal. Additionally, I found that using OpenVPN is also very smooth. So, does Wireguard with rules will affect hardware acceleration functionality?my device is ax86u with 388.7
屏幕截图 2024-05-18 105208.png

OpenVPN work with 1 core only and WireGuard with all for you router internet speed with WireGuard should be 4x OpenVPN ones - this depend of max speed of VPN provider. With your router OpenVPN speed should be 250-300Mbit with WireGuard max ISP speed 500Mbit.

you did not provided what VPN provider you are using, please check what WireGuard setting are for it.

ping should be the same for OpenVPN and WireGuard.

The WireGuard protocol is not compatible with hardware acceleration. Enabling a tunnel will also enable a bypass for traffic related to that tunnel.

The WireGuard protocol is not compatible with hardware acceleration. Enabling a tunnel will also enable a bypass for traffic related to that tunnel.
i see runner and flowcache is enable. so in fact ,if i use wireguard client ,hw acceleration id disable?

i see runner and flowcache is enable. so in fact ,if i use wireguard client ,hw acceleration id disable?
I said bypass, not disable...

Only traffic related to the tunnel IPs will bypass flow cache.

ok thanks. and its openvpn also bypass flow cache?
No, OpenVPN is compatible with it because it works over a regular TLS connection, like a web browser connecting to a site over HTTPS.

No, OpenVPN is compatible with it because it works over a regular TLS connection, like a web browser connecting to a site over HTTPS.
thanks. by the way ,the wireguard of official asuswrt is the same? i use wireguard for game streaming, but as you said, it bypass flow cache, so sometimes the network will lag,its make me uncomfortable,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

thanks,its seems that i need to find another way for game streaming
Streaming over a VPN will never be ideal latency-wise, due to encryption, the probable higher number of hops, etc...