What's new

Wireless bridge for the commoner

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Esurnir

New Around Here
I got a few questions about wireless bridges.

First of all, are wireless bridge like D-links DAP, linksys DEP and other of that kind working in pairs from the same manufacturer or can they be paired with each others.

Do you need to pair them with another bridge device or can I use say a DIR-655 with a DAP-1522.

What does it use as a standard to transport the ethernet's frame ? 802.1D ? Wireless Distribution System ? How is it looking protocol wise ? 802.11/LLCSNAP/802.1D/Ethernet ? 802.11 with four mac address (source destination bssid transmitter) / llcsnap / IP?

Maybe I should buy one of those device and dump packets from them with a sniffer.

Features and modes supported depend on the device. But, in general, the current crop of draft 11n "bridges" don't depend on WDS, but can be set in AP or client mode. When in client ("Bridge") mode, they will connect to any router / AP.

The DAP-1522 can also act as an AP, as can the NETGEAR WNHDE111. But the Linksys WET610N will act only as a client/bridge, not an AP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!