What's new

wireless n and g router side by side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slam5

Occasional Visitor
I wonder if a n router can coexist with a g router side by side. I need to setup a router for my internal use and one for my guest. I am using a linksys wrt-310n running dd-wrt v24sp1 and I have a wrt-54gs ver 5 running stock firmware. This setup works most of the time except the 54gs sometimes get completely knocked of air(not even ssid). Right now, the 310n is only in g mode and 54gs is in g model. It is somewhat stable but still i do completely lost the connection on the 54g. 310n is on channel 1 and 54gs on channel 11. Is there a possible combo that will work? I have a wrt54g v.1.1 too.

I don't see anything wrong with your current setup. Since you are running the n router in g-only mode, you really have two 11g routers operating.

Are you sure that this is not a client-side problem? What do you do to recover the lost connection?

n and g side by side

well, that's the strange part. maybe n has not been completely disabled. i understand a little about wireless. i did a site survey so i know which channel of 1,6,or 11 has the least number of neighbor AP on the same channel. any other suggestions?

What about interference?

I am using a linksys wrt-310n running dd-wrt v24sp1 and I have a wrt-54gs ver 5 running stock firmware. This setup works most of the time except the 54gs sometimes get completely knocked of air(not even ssid).

You never mentioned if you have any other sources of interference. I only mention this because I've noticed the quickest way to completely blow my wireless connection away is to get a dial tone on my 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

Fortunately I rarely use the phone so it's not that much of an issue for me. :rolleyes: (I haven't noticed any problems when the phone is not being used.)

-irrational john

interference

well, that could be it. mind you, it is on channel 1, isn't that there is not much interference there? for a long while, i didn't have the problem. now, all of sudden, it happens again. the only thing is that my bro is back from san fran and he bought a lot of wireless gadgets with him.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!