What's new

Wireless phones exposes my system to the WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alternety

Regular Contributor
From my reading here, I have concluded this.

If you use a WiFi connected phone with the router, than a function will automatically be turned on. It will then expose my system to anyone on the web.

Assuming I have understood this correctly, can someone please explain what to look for to see if the evil process is running. And what should be disabled.

I have been using a wireless phone on my AC-3100 with 384.5 off and on for some weeks. I am concerned. And if this indeed happens, is there a way to mitigate it and still safely use phones?

We are in an area with very poor cell phone signals. A major reason to have the router is to allow the phones to work at home as well as outside the dead area. The phones work fine with the router. But I really don't want to screw things up.

From my reading here, I have concluded this.

If you use a WiFi connected phone with the router, than a function will automatically be turned on. It will then expose my system to anyone on the web.

Assuming I have understood this correctly, can someone please explain what to look for to see if the evil process is running. And what should be disabled.

I have been using a wireless phone on my AC-3100 with 384.5 off and on for some weeks. I am concerned. And if this indeed happens, is there a way to mitigate it and still safely use phones?

We are in an area with very poor cell phone signals. A major reason to have the router is to allow the phones to work at home as well as outside the dead area. The phones work fine with the router. But I really don't want to screw things up.
The Asus Android or Iphone app is the problem. Accessing your router from your own network is fine. Don't enable web access from WAN.

Any pnp device will potentially open your network up to the internet. You then are relying on the security of that device as the security of your home network. Hence the guest network or setup to only allow internet access and not have every device have internal network access.

Best bet is to look at what on your router allows incoming connections. In my network, i found that minecraft automatically sets up pnp along with my wireless/ip cameras and a few other devices like the xbox and sony playstation.

Look under system log port forwarding to see what is allow incoming.

And something outgoing could also potentially be used to get access to your network. For example cross site scripting or a reverse tunnel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!