What's new

Wireless professional settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rankdropper84

Regular Contributor
Anybody change any settings at all in the wireless/professional area? Would be really interested to hear from those that change a setting and why

Preamble Type: Short.

As long as every device supports it shouldn't the performance (latency) be slightly better?
This has me curious. Why do you disable this? Because it is only for G devices?

Tx Burst mode (packet overdrive) is only applicable for G client devices and sometimes B.
Which means that Tx Bursting does not apply to wirelness N or AC networks.
So if you have everything running in N or higher as with purely N support only.
You should consider to disable or turn off the Tx Support.

Tx Burst mode (packet overdrive) is only applicable for G client devices and sometimes B.
Which means that Tx Bursting does not apply to wirelness N or AC networks.
So if you have everything running in N or higher as with purely N support only.
You should consider to disable or turn off the Tx Support.

Awesome! Thanks for that. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I have seen some people disable beam forming on their router. I have also seen others say to disable WMM APSD and just let the device handle power saving mode.

A lot of questions but, is there any downside to running optimize ack suppression or ampdu aggregation? In theory they seem like they should help, although I couldn't find a whole lot of info on the two of them

Enable TX Bursting: Disable
Preamble Type: Short.

Awesome!
This settings increase wifi download speed from 65 Mbps to 90 Mbps
And upload speed from 80Mbps to 90Mbps
4332089676.png

ISP 100/100

Yes, one more thing to test is use only 20Mhz and test if speed be better. By disabling TX bursting you can get rid of some lag when playing.

Awesome!
This settings increase wifi download speed from 65 Mbps to 90 Mbps
And upload speed from 80Mbps to 90Mbps
4332089676.png

ISP 100/100

Can you be sure your results are consistent? I get significant variations in results, test to test, on the same server, before I even have time to go to the GUI and alter the Tx setting. Are you able to see consistent results over a period of time and swapping back and forth?

Can you be sure your results are consistent? I get significant variations in results, test to test, on the same server, before I even have time to go to the GUI and alter the Tx setting. Are you able to see consistent results over a period of time and swapping back and forth?

Absolutely sure, swapping Tx burst to enable: 60Mbps download
Swapping to disable: 80-90 Mbps download
Speed depends on how close to AP my laptop is, but stable if static location.

Do swapping 5 times in 5 minutes, min 20Mbps difference every iteration.
Samba speed increased too.

Last edited:
It did nothing in my case. How close to the router are you, in terms of dBm? I have about 50dBm.

Yes, one more thing to test is use only 20Mhz and test if speed be better. By disabling TX bursting you can get rid of some lag when playing.
Disabled it and didn't notice a noticeable difference although its worth noting that my apartment is freaking tiny so that might play into it. Either way I'm leaving it disabled since it does make sense to disable it if not using legacy clients. I figure if anything it might be a less load on the CPU without it.

I've just looked at some of these at random and most of the explanations and suggestions were incorrect or misleading. Not a good guide IMHO.

Care to explain if anything in a few words or what is wrong with what's posted on that website? Really curious since it seemed legit to me, albeit not overly in depth.

Last edited:
It did nothing in my case. How close to the router are you, in terms of dBm? I have about 50dBm.

Same for me. What kind of device are you using to test with? Wifi band? On my nexus 6 I'm sitting between 43-55dBm. Just to try and see if there's anything to this, do you have things like B/G protection turned off? Short preamble? Any notably slow or fast WiFi devices on the same network?

Really want to keep this thread going since there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this kind of stuff and this might be helpful for others.

FWIW I have run with AP isolation on and noticed no speed differences (you shouldn't but someone might read this and appreciate it) so I like to run with it on all the time as a security measure since the guest network seems to drop connections for a brief moment on my ac68u frequently.

Any word on igmp snooping? I have heard to disable it but when testing with it on I have noticed an increase in speed (slightly), lower latency at a distance on all devices especially when you have many clients pulling down a lot of bandwidth.

I'm testing with a wireless N 2,4GHz client. It's a laptop with an Intel 6300 card (3x3). The nominal link speed is about 300-360Mbps.
B/g protection and Xbox turned off. Preamble type long.
This is the fastest wireless device in my network. Other than that I have a few smartphones and a couple of wireless G laptops.