What's new

Wireless Router (n+1Gb), WD MyBook Live, Torrents

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slokii

New Around Here
Hi,
Could someone please give some recommendations on a decent&reliable router that would be fast (N) and could handle torrent connections and access of computers to WD MyBook Live 1TB network drive... for not too much $.

Facts:
2 Computers (1g, 1n)
1 ipad
1 WD MyBook Live
1 WD Live TV (wireless access - no chance for cable)
flat, about 70sqm
Current router (Cisco WRT5GH) often hangs when I am downloading a file via torrent client in MyBookLive. Also Wi-Fi transfer rates are really slow, so accessing MyBookLive via Wi-Fi is in fact "not possible" for ul/dl photos from cameras, accessing them via iPad (WDPhotos), etc.

Also, I am not an expert in those things, so I would prefer out of the box (or simple fw upgrade) top performance.

Thank you!

Wireless transfer is always going to be much slower than wired. Even 802.11n delivers best case around 80 Mbps, which is only 10 MB/s.
11g (what you're using now) is best case around 25% of N speed.

Upgrading to an N router will definitely speed things up. But don't expect miracles.

Most any single band N router should work for you, like a Cisco Linksys E1200 or E1500.

Hi,
Could someone please give some recommendations on a decent&reliable router that would be fast (N) and could handle torrent connections and access of computers to WD MyBook Live 1TB network drive... for not too much $.

Facts:
2 Computers (1g, 1n)
1 ipad
1 WD MyBook Live
1 WD Live TV (wireless access - no chance for cable)
flat, about 70sqm
Current router (Cisco WRT5GH) often hangs when I am downloading a file via torrent client in MyBookLive. Also Wi-Fi transfer rates are really slow, so accessing MyBookLive via Wi-Fi is in fact "not possible" for ul/dl photos from cameras, accessing them via iPad (WDPhotos), etc.

Also, I am not an expert in those things, so I would prefer out of the box (or simple fw upgrade) top performance.

Thank you!

That router you have doesn't have enough to push all those devices around your home network. You need to beef it up. I recommend you getting E4200V1 or E4200V2. With this model you might have to get RE1000V1 too. Depends on low signal drops in your home. Everyone has them. I have 2x of those with the E4200V1.

I'm guessing that for a <700 sq. foot flat (as I read it), the poster will not need a range extender with a Linksys E4200. The E4200 should easily cover this size apartment.

Wireless transfer is always going to be much slower than wired. Even 802.11n delivers best case around 80 Mbps, which is only 10 MB/s.
11g (what you're using now) is best case around 25% of N speed.

Upgrading to an N router will definitely speed things up. But don't expect miracles.

Most any single band N router should work for you, like a Cisco Linksys E1200 or E1500.

I'm with Tim - The E3000 is a very good router for your needs - the E4200 is also good, but since most of your high bandwidth devices are B/G/N, probably better to stay with a good singleband device...

Thank you! E1500 & E1200 have only 100mbps ethernet so they are out.
Btw: Is there any special reason you are preferring Linksys?
What about Netgear (WNDR3700, WNDR3500L) or maybe something below70 usd (TPlink1043)?

Last edited: