What's new

Wireless Router - stay with Netgear or Change? Defects are an issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark M

Occasional Visitor
I've been a Netgear exclusive user in my home for over 6 years. I started with the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Upgraded to the R7800 due to certain feature upgrades. After almost a year, the R7800 lost configuration (factory reset) after every reboot. Ended up RMA'ing this device.

Figured I start fresh and purchase a R9000 for its beefier setup. A week before the warranty was up, the R9000 had the EXACT same problem. It rebooted one morning and lost its configuration. After re-setting up the configuration I rebooted it to see if settings would stick, no go. I have set up an RMA for my R9000.

I am not the only one this has happened to. There are numerous posts between this forum and Netgear's community forum regarding this issue. The issue seems to come down to NVRAM going bad.

If I get another R9000 back from RMA, I'm not sure if I want to keep it considering the warranty is just about up.

I was debating on upgrading to a Netgear AX12 RAX120 considering I now have several 802.11ax devices in my household. Being that I have gigabit internet connection, figured I'd get some percentage boost in speeds there.

I'm also open to other branded routers. Like I said, I have been a Netgear fanboy, but these two routers going defective almost a year after purchasing is leaving me a sour taste.

I'm now left wondering, do I keep the RMA'd R9000, Do I upgrade to the RAX120, or do I go with another brand all together? I was looking at the Asus RT-AX88U as a possibility if I don't stay with Netgear. Haven't looked at other brands yet. Real world experiences are important to me and not just reviews (if anyone has any real world experiences with any AX wireless routers)

Thank you!

I've been a Netgear exclusive user in my home for over 6 years. I started with the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Upgraded to the R7800 due to certain feature upgrades. After almost a year, the R7800 lost configuration (factory reset) after every reboot. Ended up RMA'ing this device.

Figured I start fresh and purchase a R9000 for its beefier setup. A week before the warranty was up, the R9000 had the EXACT same problem. It rebooted one morning and lost its configuration. After re-setting up the configuration I rebooted it to see if settings would stick, no go. I have set up an RMA for my R9000.

I am not the only one this has happened to. There are numerous posts between this forum and Netgear's community forum regarding this issue. The issue seems to come down to NVRAM going bad.

If I get another R9000 back from RMA, I'm not sure if I want to keep it considering the warranty is just about up.

I was debating on upgrading to a Netgear AX12 RAX120 considering I now have several 802.11ax devices in my household. Being that I have gigabit internet connection, figured I'd get some percentage boost in speeds there.

I'm also open to other branded routers. Like I said, I have been a Netgear fanboy, but these two routers going defective almost a year after purchasing is leaving me a sour taste.

I'm now left wondering, do I keep the RMA'd R9000, Do I upgrade to the RAX120, or do I go with another brand all together? I was looking at the Asus RT-AX88U as a possibility if I don't stay with Netgear. Haven't looked at other brands yet. Real world experiences are important to me and not just reviews (if anyone has any real world experiences with any AX wireless routers)

Thank you!

I would delay buying AX for as long as is practical. So, I would buy AC now. But since you already have a router, why not wear it out and then buy AX later when it will likely be more mature and less troublesome.

As for what to buy, that might depend on your application. But it sounds like you are ready to try a different consumer brand, so yeah, take a look at Asus AiMesh for your home network.

OE

Interesting experience. Historically, Netgear usually has decent enough hardware and it's usually more their software that underwhelms, especially on Broadcom-based hardware. Per Einstein's definition of insanity, I would at least switch to something Qualcomm-based and OpenWRT-compatible (aka the R7800), or just bite the bullet and move to a new brand of all-in-one, or possibly retool your entire hardware approach.

If you simply want another all-in-one, I'd look at any Asus model that is Merlin-compatible for stability. Opinions seem to point to the RT-AX88U as more stable than the 86U, even though it's pre-draft AX hardware and drivers.

If you want to move to entirely higher level of reliability altogether, you might want to consider discrete components (wired router, switch and AP/s). Presuming they're each of requisite quality and setup properly, the sum of the parts is usually a way better experience than trying to load all services onto a single, over-blown erector set and hope for the best, but I also realize that "good enough" tends to rule the day here, so take this paragraph with a grain of salt if you just want to K.I.S.S. -- totally understandable.

Last edited:
I was using a Netgear RAX80 for awhile but the firmware was absolute trash, never worked right, constant hassle to keep up and running. I RMA’d two of them and finally gave up on them.

Im currently using the Asus RT-AX88U and a RT-AX58U. Both run Merlin firmware if you want to use it. Both run really well without a lot of issues to deal with.

Ive got eight AX clients on my network and took the AX dive last year. While it was a bit rocky at first the firmware has improved dramatically last few months and as of now I’d never go back to a AC system no matter what.

There are people here who will tell you get an AC system, they’re more reliable, yada, yada, but there a lot of people here who have AX88U’s who are quite happy with them and they work great. I use mine as standalone, in aimesh with the AX58U and they both work great.

Opinions seem to point to the RT-AX88U as more stable than the 86U, even though it's pre-draft AX hardware and drivers.

Or at least more stable than the other AX models. :)

OE

I would delay buying AX for as long as is practical. So, I would buy AC now. But since you already have a router, why not wear it out and then buy AX later when it will likely be more mature and less troublesome.

As for what to buy, that might depend on your application. But it sounds like you are ready to try a different consumer brand, so yeah, take a look at Asus AiMesh for your home network.

OE

Thanks. I really do want to stay with Netgear, but I am eyeing the Asus too...
I was using a Netgear RAX80 for awhile but the firmware was absolute trash, never worked right, constant hassle to keep up and running. I RMA’d two of them and finally gave up on them.

Im currently using the Asus RT-AX88U and a RT-AX58U. Both run Merlin firmware if you want to use it. Both run really well without a lot of issues to deal with.

Ive got eight AX clients on my network and took the AX dive last year. While it was a bit rocky at first the firmware has improved dramatically last few months and as of now I’d never go back to a AC system no matter what.

There are people here who will tell you get an AC system, they’re more reliable, yada, yada, but there a lot of people here who have AX88U’s who are quite happy with them and they work great. I use mine as standalone, in aimesh with the AX58U and they both work great.

From what I read, the RAX80 is Broadcom based, the RAX120 is Qualcomm based. I don't think I'd ever get a Broadcom based router again, at least not from Netgear. I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks for the input!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online